Where to get a good bargain on shampoo?

Fairacre

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
There are 5 heads of hair in my household, myself (thin & long), Mister (thin but still full), and 3 boys. None of us need anything fancy in the way of shampoo & conditioner, right now we just use the basic Suave in all its different fragrences. I get it because it is the most economical, especially if I can stock up when the grocery store offers it at buy-one-get-one-free.

But I wonder if there are other places I could find a decent economical shampoo & conditioner for an even better price. I could buy it by the gallon & refill all those many many many 22oz bottles that go through this house.

I just got some 22.5 oz bottles for $1.35, so I'm looking for something less than $7.40 a gallon including any shipping. I don't think something is a deal when shipping charges are added, not for something I can get when I'm already in town and at a particular store anyway.

Please let us know if you have a good source for economical shampoo & conditioner! Thank you.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Sam's used to sell gallon jugs of shampoo. Then the container size kept shrinking :p

I am doing Suave too for now...or VO5. Whichever is cheaper.

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
The dollar store is awesome for cheap shampoo around here. Also conditioner and harispray.

Hoosiermomma

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
abifae said:
i need to start making my own. my hair turns disgusting on cheap shampoos. but i get really tired of investing in good stuff LOL. time to make it!
How do you make yours? I know you can buy some good bases on ebay and other sites but wondered if you had your own 'recipe'.

Morgaine

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I am just getting into making liquid soaps, but the bible of liquid is Catherine Failor's Making Natural Liquid Soaps. Read hers for directions on liquid soaps. You could make a Gallon of Shampoo for way less than $8, as long as you don't use pricey essential oils.

This place also has great info on making liquid soaps.

http://candleandsoap.about.com/od/liquidsoap/ss/basicliquidsoap.htm

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
IMHO the best way to save money on shampoo is to use less per hair-washing, and to wash your hair less often.

Have you tried switching to a different brand to see if you can use a smaller amount? I ask because some folks here suggested Suave to me when I was looking for a dirt-cheap shampoo last year (my previous brand having long since gone extinct and stored supply finally ran out)... and I find that I have to use about 2-3x as much Suave as I'm used to doing with other shampoos in order to get my hair really clean feeling. I do not know exactly why, and it may be different for people with different hair and less-hard water, but for me it ends up that Suave is really not particularly inexpensive compared to other brands, on a cost PER USE basis.

Prell is still fairly inexpensive, when you can find it, and a little bit goes a long way; and you could try other things too.

Using as little as possible really does help with costs, though.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

Latest posts