Where to get a good bargain on shampoo?

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I have found just such a shampoo as Pat has described...one that requires much less of the amount to get a super rich lather. Suave Professionals, the one in an orange bottle that is supposed to be like Matrix. I can get it at Family Dollar but I forget the exact price.

I'm telling ya, a dime size is more than enough for my thick hair and I don't have soft water. The accompanying conditioner is about the same....a little dab'l do ya. Sometimes I don't even have to use conditioner with this stuff, as it is a smoothing shampoo. My hair is softer than it's ever been and my shampoo lasts a long, long time.

Cheaper via portion control. :)

peachykeen

Power Conserver
Reaction score
About six months ago I finally took the plunge and stopped using shampoo. I started using diluted baking soda as shampoo and diluted ACV as conditioner. It only got really greasy once, after a few weeks of doing this. A few washes later, my hair was good again.

I have been very impressed with this method. People who know I am doing this are very surprised when they see my hair. My hair looks healthy and shiny.

It does get slightly greasier now that I am on hard water, but still worth it. I will occasionally use conditioner instead of the ACV but never shampoo.

I recommend everyone try it, very cheap and very effective. Baking soda is a miraculous little thing, i use it to brush my teeth too (not every day, it can be abrasive) as well as hubby uses it for his upset tummies. Helps get the sink and tub really clean, lots of uses for baking soda.

The Vail Benton's

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I always have a box of baking soda within reach of my shower but I never thought of using it as shampoo. Interesting!!! About the vinegar for conditioner tho - does the smell rinse away? I kind of like the scent my conditioner leaves behind.
I too currently use Suave Professionals and have been pretty happy with the price as well as the result but am always willing to try something different.

peachykeen

Power Conserver
Reaction score
The Vail Benton's said:
I always have a box of baking soda within reach of my shower but I never thought of using it as shampoo. Interesting!!! About the vinegar for conditioner tho - does the smell rinse away? I kind of like the scent my conditioner leaves behind.
I too currently use Suave Professionals and have been pretty happy with the price as well as the result but am always willing to try something different.
Once your hair dries, you can't smell the ACV at all. Scouts honour!! My hair smells quite nice without any product in it, but when I am going out I admit I usually spray a bit of body spray in my hair, I love having fragrant hair. I swear by the BS and ACV now, I used to go through a lot of shampoo and conditioner, my hair is pretty long and I would need a good dallop of each. The money we have saved already is pushing 100 I am sure. When I am feeling brave I will even take a swig of the ACV in the shower. lol!

The Vail Benton's

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
peachykeen said:
The Vail Benton's said:
Once your hair dries, you can't smell the ACV at all. Scouts honour!! My hair smells quite nice without any product in it, but when I am going out I admit I usually spray a bit of body spray in my hair, I love having fragrant hair. I swear by the BS and ACV now, I used to go through a lot of shampoo and conditioner, my hair is pretty long and I would need a good dallop of each. The money we have saved already is pushing 100 I am sure. When I am feeling brave I will even take a swig of the ACV in the shower. lol!
My hair is on the long side too, so I think tomorrow I'll try it your way. When summer comes, I have to put my hair up wet - it gets too hot to wear it down and if I let it dry before I do the up-do, I get too many fly away wispy's that stick when I sweat and that drives me nuts. I'm thinking I might forgo the ACV when the time comes and use my conditioner at least, but who knows? Maybe by then I'll be used to it and frankly, I am no longer trying to impress anyone anyway. :D

peachykeen

Power Conserver
Reaction score
The Vail Benton's said:
peachykeen said:
The Vail Benton's said:
My hair is on the long side too, so I think tomorrow I'll try it your way. When summer comes, I have to put my hair up wet - it gets too hot to wear it down and if I let it dry before I do the up-do, I get too many fly away wispy's that stick when I sweat and that drives me nuts. I'm thinking I might forgo the ACV when the time comes and use my conditioner at least, but who knows? Maybe by then I'll be used to it and frankly, I am no longer trying to impress anyone anyway. :D
Weird little thing about baking soda and ACV- your hair dries a lot quicker. I have no idea why but it was a pretty drastic change with me. I never blow dry unless its a special occasion so i thought that was pretty neat.

Another thing, I used to get pretty bad frizz and I dont have that problem anymore. Maybe it will happen in the summer, but usually winters are bad for frizz too, so who knows. Maybe baking soda cures the frizz!

When I feel my hair getting a bit greasy I will use some conditioner. I'd say I use conditioner once or twice every two weeks. I've been using Herbal Essences just because we bought a huge bottle and I want to use it up, but after this I am going to buy some all natural conditioner or look into making my own.

I really hope you like this method, even if you don't it's a fun little experiment anyways. :)