Where would I find reusable building supplys?

hwillm1977

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Buckshot said:
hwillm1977 said:
Our Habitat Restore is RIDICULOUSLY expensive... I wish it was cheaper...

I bought a bunch of used pallets (which I paid to have delivered, they can be free for the taking if you drive around in a truck) and used them to build my chicken coop... we plan on building a shed with them too.

Here's some pictures of sheds built with pallets... I got 75 pallets delivered to my house for $50...

http://summerville-novascotia.com/PalletShed/
Incredible! I will never look at crates the same again, I just wish I had your skills!
lol... those aren't my skills... that's someone else's website. :)

Here's what I built with my pallets... a 8 foot x 3 foot chicken coop, total cost was less than probalby $50

HPIM0909.jpg

Pat's right about the habitat stores... I was just disappointed when I went because I wanted to replace my 130 year old leaky windows with anything newer... the cheapest window there was $400 (tiny, like a shed window), the most expensive $1200 (for a picture window)... that's more than I would pay if I went to Home Depot.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Our Habitat store is very reasonable. Often I can get better prices there than I can off of craigslist. People are really proud of their junk around here :p

Buckshot

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
hwillm1977 said:
Buckshot said:
hwillm1977 said:
Our Habitat Restore is RIDICULOUSLY expensive... I wish it was cheaper...

I bought a bunch of used pallets (which I paid to have delivered, they can be free for the taking if you drive around in a truck) and used them to build my chicken coop... we plan on building a shed with them too.

Here's some pictures of sheds built with pallets... I got 75 pallets delivered to my house for $50...

http://summerville-novascotia.com/PalletShed/
Incredible! I will never look at crates the same again, I just wish I had your skills!
lol... those aren't my skills... that's someone else's website. :)

Here's what I built with my pallets... a 8 foot x 3 foot chicken coop, total cost was less than probalby $50

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b83/hwillm1977/Chickens and eggs/HPIM0909.jpg

Pat's right about the habitat stores... I was just disappointed when I went because I wanted to replace my 130 year old leaky windows with anything newer... the cheapest window there was $400 (tiny, like a shed window), the most expensive $1200 (for a picture window)... that's more than I would pay if I went to Home Depot.
MMMMMMMM........I'm starting to see that some of you like these habitat stores and some of you don't. I wonder what I will find out about mine tomorrow? Ok, well.... so your chicken coop isn't the Hilton but I doubt the chicken's will care. I think it looks nice! I just bought 8 Royal Palm poults and 2 Blue Slate poults and built a 8x8 pin out of 2x2's and chicken wire. At first I left the top open but I live in Chicken Hawk country so I put chicken wire on top. Trust me I'm no farmer, this is the first time since I was a kid I've been around animals other than dog's and cats. I have a lot of learning to do. When I seen your chicken coop it gave me an idea on how to keep them dry and out of the sun. I'll just use vinyl tarps like you did. I live in Missouri where we have billboards. After they change the billboards they no longer have a use for that vinyl. For about $5 or $10 you can buy a 20' x 30' sheet. Forget about what they were using it for to advertise about, it's all white on the back. Their trash can be your treasure. This stuff is tough and weather proof.

tommywalnuts

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
A lot of lumber yards sell cull wood, which is warped or broken, pretty cheap. Of course since it is culled, it may not be usable for your purposes. Some may also let you scrounge through the waste pile. I do this routinely where I work, often coming home with 2x4s, 2x6s, and 1x4s by taking apart pallets and such. You might also check with places that sell new tractor equipment and ATVs...these often come in large crates that are sheeted in wafer board or plywood...which they throw away.

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Sadly what we found going to our Habitat store is that they cost the same, and in some cases even MORE than going to Home Depot or my locally owned build-all store. It wasn't worth the gas money, and if I wanted to help someone I could just donate money to Habitat.

I would suggest going to building sites, speak to people who are renovating on a larger scale, ect. If you were here, you'd have a goldmine of scrap lumber, siding, and posts to sift through. We're planning on giving away almost an entire house of siding when we reside the house. Its in good condition, just not the style we'd like.

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
Our Habitat for Humanity store is ridiculously expensive for things that reasonably well off yuppie types in townhouses want to buy -- windows, bathroom vanities, fancy furniture, kitchen counters and cabinets.

BUT, for things like "random scraps of lumber" or "odd pieces of metal that nobody knows what it originally was for" or scraps of mesh fencing or boxes o' nails or junction boxes, I have often gotten some screamingly good deals.

It does depend a lot on who happens to be in charge that day and what kind of mood they're in when you ask :p But for basic building supplies, it is worth at least stopping by periodically IMO. For our local store anyhow.

Pat
Yours has things that are actually worth buying? Ours is full of seconds, avacado bathroom suites and gawd-awful tiles.

Buckshot

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
tommywalnuts said:
A lot of lumber yards sell cull wood, which is warped or broken, pretty cheap. Of course since it is culled, it may not be usable for your purposes. Some may also let you scrounge through the waste pile. I do this routinely where I work, often coming home with 2x4s, 2x6s, and 1x4s by taking apart pallets and such. You might also check with places that sell new tractor equipment and ATVs...these often come in large crates that are sheeted in wafer board or plywood...which they throw away.
Thanks Tommywaluts, these are good tips that I never would have thought of but are worth looking into! I'm bound to find something that I can use. Your tips made me think about ceder fencing. When someone replaces a ceder fence surly it all can't be bad. I wonder what they do with it?

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
We just Freecycled about 60 feet of ceder privacy fencing at my D1's that had been torn down by high winds. The gentle man that came to take the wood was going to cut it down, removing the damaged ends and turn it into a shorter fence for her garden.

Wish I knew you were looking for used lumber sooner.

Buckshot

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Farmfresh said:
Buckshot said:
I live in Missouri
Hey there fellow Missourian!! West Central region represented here. :frow
What's up Farmfresh! They call me Buckshot. I'm the roughest, toughest, meanest son of a gun this side of the Mississippi! Well...at least when my wife let's me! LOL I live in the South west corner down by Branson but don't get me confused with them there singers cuzz I can't sing a lick! That sure is an interesting web site link you gave me. I will make good use of it although I have turkeys not chickens. Got anything on Turkeys? Mine are poults now but I wonder if you eat their eggs like you do a chickens?