Where would I find reusable building supplys?

Buckshot

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Does anyone know where I might go to find reusable recycled lumber and corrugated tin? I want to build a garage out in the country by my house and I dont have much money. Thanks!

kcsunshine

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
:welcome

Do you have any Habitat stores in your area. Our Habitat stores have a lot of building supplies donated by builders and people who have finished their construction and have left overs. It's a good place to get appliances, windows, flooring, etc.

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
Another option may be to find a garage the owner no longer wants or needs, and move it. You can take it apart then reassemble it where you need it, or simply jack it up, set it on a trailer and pull it to your house.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Welcome!!

I am always seeing free used lumber on Craigslist. I would also check the Habitat Restore.

gina

hwillm1977

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Our Habitat Restore is RIDICULOUSLY expensive... I wish it was cheaper...

I bought a bunch of used pallets (which I paid to have delivered, they can be free for the taking if you drive around in a truck) and used them to build my chicken coop... we plan on building a shed with them too.

Here's some pictures of sheds built with pallets... I got 75 pallets delivered to my house for $50...

http://summerville-novascotia.com/PalletShed/

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Couple other options:

If there's somewhere around that does cheap or free classifieds, or a bulletin board you can post notices on, put one up "Will Disassemble And Remove old shed or outbuilding for free". (Not a bad idea to get a written contract though, so you can waive any liability to the homeowner for any injuries to you and both parties are clear on what you will/won't do in terms of site cleanup)

If you drive around and see someone with a slouching old bldg that looks like appropriate material, knock on their door, see if you can work something out with them.

Farm auctions (auctions of the stuff, I mean, not of the real estate) not-infrequently have used roof tin or siding.

Also ask around in case your region has a salvage yard or junkyard that allows people to buy stuff.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

Buckshot

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Thanks guys! These are some great Ideas! I have located a Habitat store just 25 miles from me and have already made arrangements to go take a look tomorrow. If not, and there's nothing there to buy I see I still have a few more options. Where there is a will there is a way and I'm determined to save a buck! I found this site by accident but I love it! Thanks again guys!

Buckshot

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
hwillm1977 said:
Our Habitat Restore is RIDICULOUSLY expensive... I wish it was cheaper...

I bought a bunch of used pallets (which I paid to have delivered, they can be free for the taking if you drive around in a truck) and used them to build my chicken coop... we plan on building a shed with them too.

Here's some pictures of sheds built with pallets... I got 75 pallets delivered to my house for $50...

http://summerville-novascotia.com/PalletShed/
Incredible! I will never look at crates the same again, I just wish I had your skills!

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Our Habitat for Humanity store is ridiculously expensive for things that reasonably well off yuppie types in townhouses want to buy -- windows, bathroom vanities, fancy furniture, kitchen counters and cabinets.

BUT, for things like "random scraps of lumber" or "odd pieces of metal that nobody knows what it originally was for" or scraps of mesh fencing or boxes o' nails or junction boxes, I have often gotten some screamingly good deals.

It does depend a lot on who happens to be in charge that day and what kind of mood they're in when you ask :p But for basic building supplies, it is worth at least stopping by periodically IMO. For our local store anyhow.

Pat