where's everyone at?

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'm like Bay -- I like to be prepared. Generally foodstock and supplies to last a few months & even provide some to others if need be. Have tools, generator, guns & ammo, keep extra gas, Kerosene lamps, know how to butcher, can hunt but don't, etc. So could be fine working thru power outages, limited shopping, locking in place and all things associated with the unwanted "normal" hardships. What homesteaders have done for years.

I don't think I'm preparing for war though. Just in the sense of being a survivor by learning & knowing survival skills. Plus I keep instructions for doing simple things...save seeds, make vinegar, DIY manuals for repairs, building, etc. Never know.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I'm prepping too, but for when I get to live on a property that will allow me to do more than keep a few hens. I'm learning loads from everyone here and love hearing everyone's stories and experiences and being able to ask questions from those that have been there, done that. Experience is valuable, even if it's not your own lol

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Now that you mention it, when I joined this was a heavy prepper forum. SHTF acronym was all over the forum back then, as was the humorous euphemism "zombie" for all possible enemies in an unimaginable situation. There were conflicts about what scenarios to prep for, etc.

that's awesome! :gig

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
As now a "casual" visitor, and having met and am actively in contact with a number of the "old timers" in real life, for many of us, times have just changed. Several of us got divorced and lost our properties (at least 5 of us), some have moved on to a new stage of life, and some are in failing health.

My own situation does not permit me to be as hands on as I was 6 years ago. My wife and I were just discussing canning, critters, and gardens on the drive to work this morning. That reality is at least two years away, due to obligations I have.

It's just hard to be active in something you enjoy, but can't do, for whatever reason.

Last edited:

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I do keep a months worth of food, some water, and plenty of supplies for losing power. I also keep an emergency kit in the wife's car for first aid and other little things. we keep go bags for everyone in the family ready to go as well. not much, just a little food, water, and clothes and stuff. just in case of a natural disaster as FEMA recommends all people do. some may call this prepping, but it's just being responsible.
I'm with you there. We have probably a year's worth of food around our house, have gravity-feed water (plus some large water storage containers), LED emergency lights, first-aid supplies, etc, etc. I see these things as the natural outgrowth of living on land.

Our daughter is adult now, lives & works in the city, and (due to my recommendations and directing her to certain Canadian-gov't "emergency" websites), she has emergency stuff in her apartment.

I don't laugh at common-sense preparations at all. Hope my previous post on this thread didn't come across that way.

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I'm with you there. We have probably a year's worth of food around our house, have gravity-feed water (plus some large water storage containers), LED emergency lights, first-aid supplies, etc, etc. I see these things as the natural outgrowth of living on land.

Our daughter is adult now, lives & works in the city, and (due to my recommendations and directing her to certain Canadian-gov't "emergency" websites), she has emergency stuff in her apartment.

I don't laugh at common-sense preparations at all. Hope my previous post on this thread didn't come across that way.

not at all

goatgurl

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
i'm one of those that was here and then wandered away for a while. there is truly a lot of good info here and good people who are willing to share their experiences. life ebbs and flows but goes on in spite of what happens.
i'm kind of like @baymule and @Mini Horses I don't really think of myself as a prepper but I do have a store of food, know how to grow and preserve food, take care of my animals who then take care of me. i'm not expecting a zombie attack but I live kind of in the middle of tornado alley and we have our share of storms and things that call for a person to be prepared. after years of storing things in my house and out buildings I decided that was really pretty dumb because if all that was blown away i'd be sol so I started storing things in the cellar instead. may not be any better but I feel better at least.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We used to live in hurricane country and lost power for up to 3-4 weeks at a time. We cooked outside, boiled coffee never smelled or tasted so good! I wound up feeding lots of people, so having plenty of food worked out just fine. When stores are closed, boarded up and there is nothing available, it really drives it home that you are on your own-along with your neighbors and friends. Now we live in tornado country--so jealous of your cellar @goatgurl !!

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We've had too many things go wrong in our lives to be comfortable with NOT having some extra food, water, and other so-called preps. Well pumps die, septic systems die, unemployment and accidents and illness happens, and of course the power goes out. It doesn't make sense to wait until something happens and all you can do is wring your hands and ask for help from someone.

Like @Chic Rustler we started to get wound up, reading all the doomsday sites until I sat back and realized that if SHTF, we are too old and worn out to be able to rough it. We've taken reasonable precautions against the most probable disasters for our area and more than that I leave in God's hands.

moxies_chickennuggets

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I grew up in Tornado Alley, then loved in hurricane country for 15 years. I am always "prepped"....for whatever it is worth. Just not a prepper.

Have foodstuffs....and the propane amenities to cook it. And the propane. And enough wood to use otherwise.

Have poultry for edible on the "hoof". Seeds in the freezer. Potable water stashed here and there. Weapons and ammo...as well as fuel.

Don't really have any comm. stuff. If any shtf, we'll just go off the radar.

Latest posts