where's everyone at?

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
If it ever comes to a SHTF, we will need community. We don't have ALL the skills necessary for long term survival. Yes, we could get by, but over the long term, we need community. I can grow a garden and put it up for later consumption. I can raise meat and eggs. I have a lot of skills, but I like knowing help is around the corner.

Look at the Amish. Each household is a stand alone farm, yet theirs is a tight knit community. They help each other and are stronger for it.

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I'm not a prepper but I do like to buy a lot of stuff at rock bottom prices. The problem everytime I think I have enough stuff to last a few months my daughters come visit and somehow all my extra goods like toothpaste, deodorant, soaps, etc... disappear with them. They seem to think Mom and Dad are a retail store. I do can but this is something that we eat. I also give jellies and pickles away and hope to get my jars back but never do. I guess if the SHTF ever does happen I'll be foraging. Mostly I just trust in God to provide and try to be a good steward of my resources as best as I can manage.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
The problem everytime I think I have enough stuff to last a few months my daughters come visit and somehow all my extra goods like toothpaste, deodorant, soaps, etc... disappear with them
That happens in my house too. They always ask if they can go 'shopping in my pantry'....

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'm the opposite. My mother is always giving me random things from her pantry, which is fine with me but, why did you buy it if you apparently don't want it?

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
They will ask me if they can have a roll of toilet paper and the next thing I know they are carrying 2 packages out the door.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
If it ever comes to a SHTF, we will need community. We don't have ALL the skills necessary for long term survival. Yes, we could get by, but over the long term, we need community. I can grow a garden and put it up for later consumption. I can raise meat and eggs. I have a lot of skills, but I like knowing help is around the corner.

There's blog by a fellow calls himself Selco that survived a year-long siege of his hometown in Bosnia that said something I thought was thought-provoking. If your well-pump needs work and there's hostiles about, it's a good thing to have a buddy that can keep an eye on the woods while your attention is on the pump.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I've read a lot of his blogs. Sure makes you think.