Which blood tests? Update: An incorrect diagnosis :)

Lady Henevere

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have had a bunch of vague physical and mental symptoms for months, and I have finally reached my breaking point so I am going in for tests. I'm not sure what to ask for, and I'm hoping you all can help. I am 38, in general good health, normal weight. My physical symptoms include getting short of breath very easily upon exertion, fatigue (getting tired quickly, not having trouble getting out of bed; a year ago I was running and hiking regularly and now I don't have the energy), feeling shaky and weak when I'm hungry (this used to happen to me often; it hasn't for years but suddenly it's back), and having trouble regulating my body heat (I get hot and can't cool off). My mental symptoms include confusion (for example, the choices at the grocery store overwhelm me) and...well, I don't really know how to explain it, but I'm stupider than I used to be. What used to be an invigorating mental challenge is now an out-and-out struggle, and sometimes I fail. I feel like the protagonist in Flowers for Algernon when his intelligence starts to fade.

Since these symptoms are all vague, I'm going to ask for an array of tests to try to figure out what's going on. I'm thinking of asking for a test of general blood levels, a test for anemia and B12, hormones, thyroid, and blood sugar. Are there specific tests among these that I should request? Any others I have left out? Anything beyond blood tests I should consider?

Thanks in advance!

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Thyroid was the first thing that came to mind, but you've got that already........

JRmom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Sounds like perimenopause....

I started having similar symptoms in my late 30's. I would explain all your symptoms to the doctor and let him/her decide on what tests to do.

snapshot

Farmwife
Reaction score
Have a blood test for A1C. It gives a picture of the average amt. of glucose in your blood over the past few months. Not to show if it spikes but if it has been elevated normally.

Lady Henevere

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses.

A kick in the teeth from the brain fog: I forgot about today's doctor's appointment, so I didn't go.

:he

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I don't think YOU need to ask for tests.

I would print out that post you just wrote and let the Dr. read it (in case brain fog kicks in and you can't remember your symptoms LOL)

the Dr. will know what tests to run. leave it in his hands for the first time but be sure to truly let all those symptoms be known.

good luck

chipmunk

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
A CBC (complete blood count) is a good place to start - looks at red & white blood cells, platelets, etc.. From there the Dr. can tell if your body is fighting something (your immunity cells will be high), or if you have some kind of anemia (your red blood cells will be out of whack). And definitely the TSH (thyroid)

Lady Henevere

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I never did make it to the doctor for tests. I'm busy, but more importantly I don't have a doctor here I trust, which really makes me not want to go.

But I started taking a multivitamin, extra vitamin C, extra vitamin D, and extra vitamin B12. I feel SO MUCH better. I don't know which of these actually had the effect on me or whether it's coincidence, but I feel totally different. I have more energy, and mentally things are flowing so much better than they were. I'm not a huge fan of the idea of vitamins in general (in a way, aren't they just the ultimate processed food?) but I feel so much better that maybe I need to re-think my vitamin prejudice. ;)