Which blood tests? Update: An incorrect diagnosis :)

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
Too low of cholesterol can actually be a problem...

"What most people do not realize is that the best way to obtain your vitamin D is from safe exposure to sun on your skin. The UVB rays in sunlight interact with the cholesterol on your skin and convert it to vitamin D.

Bottom line?

If your cholesterol level is too low you will not be able to use the sun to generate sufficient levels of vitamin D.

...Remember, every single one of your cells needs cholesterol to thrive -- including those in your brain. Perhaps this is why low cholesterol wreaks havoc on your psyche.

One large study conducted by Dutch researchers found that men with chronically low cholesterol levels showed a consistently higher risk of having depressive symptoms.[iv]

This may be because cholesterol affects the metabolism of serotonin, a substance involved in the regulation of your mood. On a similar note, Canadian researchers found that those in the lowest quarter of total cholesterol concentration had more than six times the risk of committing suicide as did those in the highest quarter. [v] "

From an article written by Dr. Joseph Mercola.

JRmom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
My husband has suffered with depression, on and off, for over 20 years. He started taking vitamin D and I can already see an improvement.

Lady Henevere

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Interesting. I assume I don't get enough vitamin D, since my job requires me to be inside at a computer all day most days. I get sun when I can (this is Southern California, I can generally get sun if I can find the time to get outside), and don't use sunscreen unless I'm going to be out all day at the beach or something. I recently started supplementing vitamin D, although I have not done adequate research to ensure I am getting the right kind.

I have no idea how to raise cholesterol levels, in the event I need to -- I will have to look that one up. I eat a lot of eggs and dairy; perhaps I need more? But I thought cholesterol intake and cholesterol levels were only related a little....??? I don't know. Is low cholesterol a sign of some other problem? So many questions.

I suppose I really need to talk to a doctor about this! But I appreciate everyone's comments -- there is a lot of wisdom and experience on this board, and I appreciate that we can share that experience and help one another. :hugs

krisac

Power Conserver
Reaction score
For thyroid make sure it's a complete test including tsh, t3 and t4. also ask about inflamation tests, if they all comeback clear don't stop looking for answers....there always Cat scans and MRI's.
you know your body and if it says something is wrong believe it. Don't let a doctor pass it off. Not all doc's do but some do. Been a nurse for 12 years seen the best and worst they have to offer.
Kristina

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
I would be cautious about what your Dr knows about cholesterol. They love to see low numbers. The lower the happier.
As far as recovery from Adrenal fatigue is concerned, there are several things besides rest and good diet that help.
Make sure you are not eating super low carb, take a raw adrenal suppliment ( www.drrons.com has a super one ) a low dose of Lugols iodine and high doses of fermented cod liver oil, B Complex, Zinc and Acerola Powder.
That basic combo has been the most effective for most people.

As to raising your cholesterol levels, doing the above regimen may well be all that is needed. I would "guess" that your body is using up its supply very fast and not able to keep up, so supporting the endocrine system may well do the trick.

Lady Henevere

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
This week I saw a very good doctor who I felt really comfortable with (he was very insightful, understanding, open-minded, hopeful, etc.). Without me even mentioning anything about it, he encouraged me to seek naturopathic treatment if I wanted to do so -- which is a good thing because I had an appointment with the naturopath a couple of days later. :D She also was great, and told me some of the same stuff you guys have said here.

I am working on diet changes, taking supplements, and following up on some blood tests. Hopefully I am on my way to feeling better!

Thanks for all the advice and info here!

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
I was going to suggest the B complex, but others beat me to it. B vitamins are prevalent in a lot of grains, being gluten free it helps to take extra B.

Since you have had digestive problems in the past and notice a difference being gluten free, there is a possibility that you have absorption problems. I know I do. My intestines have been damaged from so many years of eating Gluten with Celiac disorder, that I have a hard time absorbing minerals properly. I find personally that I really need to supplement and watch my diet to feel the best.