Which is better?

ninny

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I can either just save the money or rent a arce to have some small livestock on. I really want my chickens back. But not sure if a acre is enough to have chickens, 2goats and pony though. Id do intense rotation grazing. I can have a garden but no critters. What would you do?

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
What is the cost analysis of the rent, feed and general animal upkeep?
And how far away is it from where you live?

Does the acre have plenty of proper browse for the goats?
Grass is fine for the pony and chickens.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
If it was me I would do a garden and a flock of chickens.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
How big of a pony? Where are you located? Would you feed hay as well as pasture? If you feed hay, an acre should be big enough for a pony, a couple of goats and some chickens.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
rent land or save money

only key for me would be "am I staying in this current home"

cause if you are intent on moving, don't bother renting land, save save save money............if you are staying put, rent the land. If close to the house, you get a written contract, etc and you want critter---than go for the land. It is land you didn't have so renting it would be ideal for you. but if moving, save save save for your own land

yes 1 acres is enough for some chickens, a few goats and a small pony. biggest cost is goats and pony hay in winter usually.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Definite no to the pony, whole variety of reasons.

Probably no to the goats too unless the land already has really good goat-and-predator-proof fencing (which will be expensive to install if it doesn;t)

Chickens... can't you have chickens at home? If not, *maybe* it'd be worthwhile if it didn't cost you mcuh and the land was right nearby and some facilities already existed. But otherwise, not sure how worthwhile it'd be renting an acre just for a few chickens, maybe find some other way of keeping them or as you say just save your pennies for another day?

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I had 4 goats, 12 chickens, 2 turkeys, and about 10 rabbits on my 1.48 acres here. I had to feed hay and such, as there wasn't enough forage and you can't cut feed costs doing it that way, but it is doable. Fencing is a big issue too.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
You need the book called "The Backyard Homestead".....very good!

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I also vote for chickens (or ducks) and the garden. Skip the pony and the goats for now. Goats need so much attention I can't see doing that remotely.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
I also vote for chickens (or ducks) and the garden. Skip the pony and the goats for now. Goats need so much attention I can't see doing that remotely.
Remotely? Oh if remotely...dunno why that didn't dawn on me, but no I'd say absolutely not to goats as well if this will be a off farm type gig. I'd go with chickens, ducks, turkeys, etc. but goats are/can be little rambunctious fence killers!