Which is better?

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I find it interesting everyone says no to goats and pony.

the person might be well versed in owning/caring for these animals and wants the milk from some goats

and the pony to ride

but to the OP, if you know what you are doing and the rented land has good fencing and shelter, have at all the critters you want :p

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
I find it interesting everyone says no to goats and pony.

the person might be well versed in owning/caring for these animals and wants the milk from some goats

and the pony to ride

but to the OP, if you know what you are doing and the rented land has good fencing and shelter, have at all the critters you want :p
I found this puzzling, too. We don't know if the acre is next door, well fenced, with a secure barn. We don't know if it is about the financial burden, really...I found the actual question a bit unclear. Ninny, could you clarify?

I boarded my horse for many years, which is essentially a way of "renting land" while I was in an apartment. The horse was my passion and my sanity saver. A good financial decision? At the time, yes....much cheaper than psychotherapy and better, too!

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
When someone mentions saving money and horses in the same paragraph, I have to laugh.

Saving money was the other option.

Money spent on land rent used for a garden actually ends up saving you money, and in many cases can make you more than you spend.

Horses are nice, but NOT a money saver.

As for goats, true they can be bred and milked, but unless that acre is next to your home, is it a good idea? I have been reading goat stories on this forum since I joined. Those things get in to a lot of trouble even with direct supervision.

As for chickens and ducks, I know with some preparation I can leave mine for a day or three if I have to. Could you do that with a goat?

So anyway, that is the thinking behind my recommendations, but more details would help.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
The pony was my clue that it was not really a financial question. Yup, no one gets equines of any kind to "save money!" I know that firsthand! :p

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Oh you read it different than I did.

I read it as "should I save money TO BUY LAND later" or rent now cause I want some animals LOL

well then we got all the bases covered depending on the OPs intentions

cool

Mattemma

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have .87 and have 8 hens,rabbit,2 dogs,and 3 cats.

I vote for saving for a place where you are legally permitted to have animals.The goats and horse would need more room than the hens. I would only rent land if I wanted to farm it.I would not want my animals far from me,because I would worry about someone doing them harm or just taking them.

My only issue has been with the dogs getting into everything and using the entire yard as a toilet. I intend to fence off an area for them around the house.The hens have a run,but sometimes I will herd them around the yard,and just shoo them out of certain garden areas.

I am pleasantly suprised by how much I have been able to fit on my *less than an acre* lot.

Best wishes whatever you decide!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Mattemma said:
I have .87 and have 8 hens,rabbit,2 dogs,and 3 cats.

I vote for saving for a place where you are legally permitted to have animals.The goats and horse would need more room than the hens. I would only rent land if I wanted to farm it.I would not want my animals far from me,because I would worry about someone doing them harm or just taking them.

My only issue has been with the dogs getting into everything and using the entire yard as a toilet. I intend to fence off an area for them around the house.The hens have a run,but sometimes I will herd them around the yard,and just shoo them out of certain garden areas.

I am pleasantly suprised by how much I have been able to fit on my *less than an acre* lot.

Best wishes whatever you decide!
that is so true --you did great planning for your small land and it sure produces for you! that is great and I wish so many more would "use" some of their property to support themselves.

when times got bad a house down the road near town has a very small plot....but that person turned the front and side yard into a beautiful full food garden....can't go wrong there...those people saw their land as opportunity and took it. it was nice to see actually.
small land can produce big! :)

Up-the-Creek

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
ninny said:
I can either just save the money or rent a arce to have some small livestock on. I really want my chickens back. But not sure if a acre is enough to have chickens, 2goats and pony though. Id do intense rotation grazing. I can have a garden but no critters. What would you do?
If it were me,...I would ask myself whether I plan to stay where I am or do I plan on moving to another location. If I were planing on moving eventually, then YES I would SAVE every dime so I could to get there as fast as I could. Now,..if I was planning on staying where I am, then YES, I would rent that acre and I would have what I wanted on it. Goats, ponies, whatever. An acre would be plenty of space for them I would think. Good luck!

ninny

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I guess i should have been more clear sorry. The house we are renting is attached to 60 acres of woods/fields that get rented out. So the acre is right out my back door. It does not have fences or anything on it. Im planing on building tractors for the chickens and using hotwire & doing rotationle grazing for the goats and pony. The big guys will have a leanto on wheels. Yes i am planing on milking the goats. I will have to feed hay during the winter but i have pasture at my moms to use also but i have to trailer there. So there will be day trips to help her keep her weeds down. Before we moved i sold eggs so im hopeing to do that again to help with hay costs. I've used just hotwire with goats before with no issues so hopeing it will work that way this time.
We really like our house so whille moving is a possableity if our family gets any bigger. It wouldn't be for years. The garden will not be on the arce. It will be on our houses land. Does that make more sense?

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
ninny said:
I guess i should have been more clear sorry. The house we are renting is attached to 60 acres of woods/fields that get rented out. So the acre is right out my back door. It does not have fences or anything on it. Im planing on building tractors for the chickens and using hotwire & doing rotationle grazing for the goats and pony. The big guys will have a leanto on wheels. Yes i am planing on milking the goats. I will have to feed hay during the winter but i have pasture at my moms to use also but i have to trailer there. So there will be day trips to help her keep her weeds down. Before we moved i sold eggs so im hopeing to do that again to help with hay costs. I've used just hotwire with goats before with no issues so hopeing it will work that way this time.
We really like our house so whille moving is a possableity if our family gets any bigger. It wouldn't be for years. The garden will not be on the arce. It will be on our houses land. Does that make more sense?
I say go for it!
Just as long as it fits the budget :)