Which Is The Cheapest State To Buy Acreage In?

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
I believe that most states have rural areas that offer affordable living. It's just a matter of trade-offs. If I were looking, I'd decide what type of climate that I would prefer, then look at jobs available in the line of work that I do (or my spouse does). After matching up the jobs and climate, I'd compare taxes and look at rural or semi-rural property in the general areas.

I live in north Arkansas. I have a 3 bedroom, wood frame home and 15 acres. My property taxes, after homestead exemption, run about $60 per year. We have a sales tax of 8.5 percent. However, there isn't much in the way of employment, and the little that there is offers fairly low wages.

Good luck with your search, and pass on my sincere thanks to your spouse for his service to our country.

deb1

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Thank you Koxx. :)

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Hey, when did you come to my house? LOL!
We have friends in the scenic Yoder area*. We went out there once for a BBQ. We were shaking dust and sand out of our shoes for a WEEK!

*Insert sarcastic tone of voice and eye rolling here

elijahboy

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
i think the best place to live is over yonder too

over the hills and through the woods

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Geez, you guys are freaking me out with your taxes!!!!!! I have 2.91 country acres, with NO services-no street lights, no garbage pickup, no sewers, no streetlamps, no nothing and my taxes are $4600/yr.

It sure would be nice though to be able to pick out exactly where you want to live though--not being married to any state. etc.

Me, I would go back up north in a heartbeat.

elijahboy

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
OMG my mortgage for 12 months is 4800 my taxes are 300

my streetlights are included in my light bill
garbage pick up is 10.00 a month
sewer bill is 45.00 a month
water bill is 40.00 a month

miss_thenorth said:
Geez, you guys are freaking me out with your taxes!!!!!! I have 2.91 country acres, with NO services-no street lights, no garbage pickup, no sewers, no streetlamps, no nothing and my taxes are $4600/yr.

It sure would be nice though to be able to pick out exactly where you want to live though--not being married to any state. etc.

Me, I would go back up north in a heartbeat.

deb1

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
Beautiful WV! :D
I think that West Virginia is a beautiful state and somewhere that I would love to reside. I really like the Appalachians and I would imagine that West Virginia gets cold in the winter. I lived in Iowa and I might be strange but I like some snow. I don't need snow or mountains to be happy, but it would be nice.

deb1

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
elijahboy said:
i think the best place to live is over yonder too

over the hills and through the woods
To Grandmother's house we go.

Well, I will be a grandmother the end of Ocotober or early Novemember so the song fits. LOL I should point out that my oldest son started early with his family. I am going to be a youngish grandmother. :)

MissNorth, having to move so many times due to the military has made me less connected to any particular state emotionally. My parents are dead and my sister is working overseas. Anywhere that my hubby could get a job would be great but he is going to try and apply in areas that we would like to live.

annmarie

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I suggest you take a look at the Central New York area (around Chenango, Otsego and Broome counties). The land is extremely cheap there mostly due to the fact that it was, until a few years ago, dominated by beautiful old dairy farms that have now gone under. The old farms are all being divided up and sold into smaller lots, 5, 10, 15, 20 acres. Its too far and inconvenient for the NYC crowd to buy up for second homes so land is cheap and plenty. Its absolutely stunningly beautiful there, lots of rolling hills as far as the eye can see (a lot like West Virginia as far as I understand), and youll have all four seasons to enjoy. One drawback of NYS is that the taxes are higher than some of the other states previously mentioned. If you do look into that area, be aware that you should feel comfortable offering considerably less than what the seller is asking!