which one of you poisoned your garden?

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Using compost or mulch materials from a source that was contaminated by herbicides. Some of the newer herbicides persist through the crop, through the ruminant's gut, into the manure, through the composting process, only to poison the garden. Any use of materials that have been treated: hay, bedding, manure, compost can poison a garden for years.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It took me years to get one section of the garden cleaned up after someone apparently used some sort of herbicide near it (I think the county sprayed the weeds on the edge of our property, and the wind drifted). Now I have a solid barrier between it and the road

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Does the (ex) wife getting "free dirt" full of bind weed to replace the premium garden topsoil I had built up over 6 years that she told my BIL was okay to use to back fill in the patio construction the previous month count?

I was going through the garden soil bit by bit the next 3 years picking out any tiny root piece I could find.

Last edited:

Rammy

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I know when I had a horse and would go get a truckload of shavings from the local wood mill, I would make sure it didnt have black walnut in it. Its very toxic to horses.
I plan on cleaning out my chicken coop when its cooler and the garden is done, and putting it all on there. Get some lyme, let it sit all winter composting, along with all the free rabbit poo, and plow it all in next spring. I bet my garden will be going gangbusters next year.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
This is the BEST garden year I've ever had for peppers. Usually, I just can't get a good crop. I put a LOT of chicken bedding into that new raised bed. Getting some good carrots and beets out of the new section of garden. I really didn't put much of anything into that bed for fertilizer. Getting some whopper carrots! Not a lot, but the ones that are there are huge.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Chickens = high nitrogen. I'm getting ready to clean a coop for winter rebedding in it....and for the fertilizer that comes out! the goat shed (14x32) is waiting with a lot of gold -- bedding plus pellets! Haven't had chemicals on the farm in over 18 yrs and buy only untreated hay for winter use. Grass everywhere!!! Can't keep it cut enough. Still, need hay for winter -- generally mid Dec thru March, when grass is dormant.

I'm hoping I get enough GRASS killed in the new garden area for next Spring to be a more productive area. It's looking like a pasture, again. LOL I've had 9 mini mares on it for 3 days....still need to cut it :thMy goats are knee deep in grass....all the animals spread fertilizer for me! :lol: Goats would rather have weeds than grass. Bought some old hay from my hay guy just to put out in the garden over fresh tilled, & barn dumps to compost. I'm sure hoping for more production next year.

I should sell this natural fertilizer.