Who has or does bike/walk/bus commute?How far and often?

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
if I wouldn't die--(which I would on my roads here)--I would love a scooter type thing like they use in India and all those countries. Scooter with a big basket. Stores are close enough---I just can't take my life in my hands to get there. Not worth it.

Every time NC does a road...I wish they would add a nice big bike lane in there but they don't. Time to write to the state and ask WHY THE HELL NOT??? LOL....I am sure they will say MONEY!

DianeB

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
if I wouldn't die--(which I would on my roads here)--I would love a scooter type thing like they use in India and all those countries. Scooter with a big basket. Stores are close enough---I just can't take my life in my hands to get there. Not worth it.

Every time NC does a road...I wish they would add a nice big bike lane in there but they don't. Time to write to the state and ask WHY THE HELL NOT??? LOL....I am sure they will say MONEY!
You should call your congressman. It is much easier than most people think. They have to take your message to your rep. Think I will start calling mine more often.

My mom just went to NC earlier this year. She was surprised that there was no sidewalks or paved shoulders even in the city. Mind you we are from CA were almost everything is paved.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Yup I am glad alot is NOT paved....LOL

but having access I used to have (when I lived up North) is crazy.

Not many "sidewalks" here at all. Hard to find and they lead "nowhere" when you do find them.

All neighborhoods in the North had sidewalks. Down in NC they do not make sidewalks in neighborhoods??

Oh well...you get the good with the bad I guess no matter where you are.

NC had the old railways they were going to convert to horse riding trails, bikes, hiking etc. but money said NO....sad, it would have been wonderful.

It still all comes to money and it irks me but what can one do. The states are going bankrupt mostly.

Look at CA....they are in financial dire big time!!! I don't know what that state will do. They so much in debt it is insanity.

I guess the problem is where does money go.....to education, welfare and all those programs keeping people alive or to extra wide roads for bikes?????

all a crapshoot I guess

DianeB

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
Yup I am glad alot is NOT paved....LOL

but having access I used to have (when I lived up North) is crazy.

Not many "sidewalks" here at all. Hard to find and they lead "nowhere" when you do find them.

All neighborhoods in the North had sidewalks. Down in NC they do not make sidewalks in neighborhoods??

Oh well...you get the good with the bad I guess no matter where you are.

NC had the old railways they were going to convert to horse riding trails, bikes, hiking etc. but money said NO....sad, it would have been wonderful.

It still all comes to money and it irks me but what can one do. The states are going bankrupt mostly.

Look at CA....they are in financial dire big time!!! I don't know what that state will do. They so much in debt it is insanity.

I guess the problem is where does money go.....to education, welfare and all those programs keeping people alive or to extra wide roads for bikes?????

all a crapshoot I guess
Oh, the state's money woos are way more complicated than were they do and don't spend their money. One thing I would like to point out is that our debt was only about $2 billion last fiscal year. The almost year long debate over the budget is why it was racked up so high. I wish the politicians would just get over themselves. CUTS and TAXES were needed. Really, the tax increase and cuts would have not been so bad initially if everyone was willing to work together.

DianeB

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Well, I have been using biking around much more than usual. Have a new job a church and more things to do.

Last night, I rode my bike at night. This is the first time in about a year. Was able to use my nice DiNotte lights, again. They are so bright that sometimes cars think it is another car and actually make a full stop at an intersection. It really wasn't that bad. There was almost no traffic on the very well lit streets.

Must have biked about 12 miles yesterday. WooHoo!!

My goal is to be an active commuter for life. Right now, I don't have a car so this is easy. I figure that is I include exercise into my everyday activities, I will live a longer, healthier life.