Who here has built their own Solar Panels?

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
gordondi said:
When it comes to pollution free future solar energy can be considered the best source of option that neither pollute the environment like thermal power plants and nor needs to have huge infrastructure like other energy plants.
Yes! I wish I had the image links from innovative things that are in place already. I think some city in Britian has solar panels on high retaining walls along a major highway. I have also seen pics of solar cells in sidewalks, driveways, etc. Good stuff.
I also see that this is your first post, so welcome! :frow Please take a moment and introduce yourself over at the 'where am I' part on the index page, k?

Nifty, thanks for posting your link. I have the page open in another window and will head there in a bit to start reading.

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
gordondi said:
When it comes to pollution free future solar energy can be considered the best source of option that neither pollute the environment like thermal power plants and nor needs to have huge infrastructure like other energy plants.
Well you are welcome to your opinion but there are a lot of small hydro systems that have been working for decades. It does not pollute water to run downhill and a well designed waterwheel can take up less space then the equivalent solar plant on a horse power vs horse power basis. Only in a flat space or a desert would solar be superior.~gd

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Boyd said:
System specifications for: Grand Blanc, MI
Utility: Consumers Energy Company

Solar Radiance:4.26 kWh/sq m/day Avg.
Monthly Usage:1,573 kWh/month
System Size:15.33 kW
Roof Size:1533 sq. ft.
Estimated Cost:$107,330.39
Post Incentive Cost:$-45,455.85

Going off the grid is discouraging..
Boyd I just did this also!!....used a monthly average of 1500kWh for me. Used a local solar business and they had this calculation available also.

Cost was close to $98,000 with the incentive being (somewhere near) $52,000 (wish I could remember the exact numbers but they floored me for sure)

I almost fell off the computer chair when I saw that

AmericanHomesteader

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I am currently building my own. You can expect to spend about half of the cost per panel as purchasing them prebuilt. The key to long lasting diy panels is sealing the cells in a encapsulation. I am building 120 watt 18 volt panels that produce 6.7 amp. I purchase the tempered glass from a local company at 48 bucks a sheet and its 27 x 49 inches. I use eva to seal my cells. 120 watt panel to purchase is 289.00 best price i could find, each panel i am building cost me 150.00 per panel, i have enough to build 6 panels.

drewwilliam

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Installing solar panels Georgia at your home are a great way to save the environment and save up a lot of money on your electricity bill. If you want to generate energy and electricity at your home, and make the electricity company pay you, this solar panels can be a very good investment.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I have to say it again. The first thing we have to do is use less electricity.

Leta on our forum, had an audit done and uses 1/5 of one K per day. Sunsaver, another member, gets by with what, one or two panels?

Granted, it's harder to do with teenagers using blow dryers, curling irons, etc etc. It's all in making gradual changes, but still making the changes.

I was surprised when we got one of our ele bills the month after I was unplugging everything, hanging clothes to dry, everything I could think of. We still used 1300 watts. That made me really take a look around to see what I had that was pulling juice. It'd almost be easier to start from the beginning, giving myself a daily 'ration' of electricity to see what really is necessary. :barnie

I had a friend that was out of town for three months during the winter. She was very angry that her ele bill was still over $100 each month when everything was turned off and she was gone. But she didn't consider that she had FIVE ancient freezers in outbuildings that were still pulling power. Sometimes it's the stuff we overlook that pull the most juice, I guess.

JMO

AmericanHomesteader

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Marianne said:
Approximately how long does it take for you to build one?

Keep us informed on the progress, too!
If the DW and kids dont interrupt me i can build one in 10 hours, its not really that hard its just time consuming tabbing the cells and sealing them in eva with a heat gun.

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
As said before conservation is the first step to SS and photo voltaic generation, 1500 kwh/month is a ridiculously large amount of power to subsidize - which by the way is pert near twice the national average - I only used 284 kwh last month and am 100% electric.

Back on subject: I would never recommend building your own panels unless just for fun (as I have done) they won't last or produce any where near a production model costing much less over the 20-30 year lifetime vs your 1 summer system.

Check your local, state, federal, and power companies rebates and credits as most will not cover a do it yourself system. A typical grid tied system will cost about $40,000 before incentives which varies state by state but again only with systems that carry a warranty and guarantee from a licensed installer.

AmericanHomesteader

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
xpc said:
As said before conservation is the first step to SS and photo voltaic generation, 1500 kwh/month is a ridiculously large amount of power to subsidize - which by the way is pert near twice the national average - I only used 284 kwh last month and am 100% electric.

Back on subject: I would never recommend building your own panels unless just for fun (as I have done) they won't last or produce any where near a production model costing much less over the 20-30 year lifetime vs your 1 summer system.

Check your local, state, federal, and power companies rebates and credits as most will not cover a do it yourself system. A typical grid tied system will cost about $40,000 before incentives which varies state by state but again only with systems that carry a warranty and guarantee from a licensed installer.
fun i have same one built 3 years ago that still work fine. If you grid tie true you need factory built with the UL tags or you wont be allowed to grid tie. Off grid use i build my own.