Who makes cheese or other dairy products?

ChickenPotPie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My son's does kidded so I get to go out and milk today! :ya I had a great time shopping Caprinesupply.com yesterday buying cheese making products and can't wait 'til they get here!

My son, now 11yrs old, made simple queso blanco last year. We also made ricotta. This year we're going to try cheddar, mozzerella, soft goat cheese (not chevre), cottage cheese, and yogurt for the first time. :)

I'm so excited to have "free" goat milk again, I want to here what you all are doing. I know you'll inspire me. :D

Do you make cheese or other dairy products? What is your favorite? What do you make the most? Do you plan on trying something new this year?

BarefootMom

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Just last Saturday I made Colby Cheese and plan on making more tomorrow. Hubby has to pick up some more cheesecloth for me today after work or I would be making it now lol.

I haven't made anything else yet, I am still new to all of this. My sister inspired me when she made cottage cheese, mozzarella, and ricotta a few weeks ago. We are using cows milk, and can get it pretty cheap from our neighbor who milks about 45 guernsey cows. I have a 6 month old guernsey heifer that I plan to make into a family milk cow when she is old enough to breed. I can't wait.

glenolam

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I just make soap w/my goat milk. I tried cheese once, couldn't cut it.

Get it...cut it? :D :rolleyes:

ChickenPotPie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
ROFL! :lol:

Is goat milk soap expensive to make?

@ BarefootMom - where do you age your cheese?

BarefootMom

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I plan to age it in a mini fridge with the temp turned up a bit. That way it won't be disturbed.

I love goat milk soap- it is the only kind of soap that I use! I buy mine from the Amish.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Goat's milk soap is cheap and easy, depending on what oils you use. I make it with different oils, but my usual is home-rendered tallow at about a buck a pound, maybe some lard (from trim), also home rendered and sometimes free but usually a buck a pound, and some veg oil, EVOO for us and whatever for selling (canola, corn, soybean, anything). Then a canister of lye is about $3-4. Then the goat's milk. I usually make a 6.5 lb batch and use a plastic tote for a mold. My last batch cost around $13 for 24 bars, unscented and uncolored. It has a pleasant, soapy scent.

I've been known to throw a bit of chicken fat in there, too!

Hey, cheese cutters, I had an intermediate cheese thread last season that has some good ideas on it from fellow cheesemakers here. http://www.sufficientself.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=5937

Kim_NC

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I make yogurt, and also strain it for 'sour cream'. I use the whey for baking.

I'm starting on cheeses this year.

aggieterpkatie

Swiss Army Wife
Reaction score
Last year I made a good bit of yogurt, kefir, and farmer cheese with my milk. The farmer cheese is awesome, so easy and you can make it SO many different ways.

This year I'd like to make mozerella and chevre, and perhaps some hard cheeses.

I'd also really like to get into making soap, but I need to save up money for supplies!

BarefootMom

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Kim_NC said:
I make yogurt, and also strain it for 'sour cream'. I use the whey for baking.

I'm starting on cheeses this year.
How do you use the whey for baking? How long does it keep? I hated throwing all that whey out when I made cheese.