Who should get our business?

homestead holdout

Power Conserver
Reaction score
My first post here - We're on a 5-step program to my definition of "sufficentselves".... We're pretty deep into step 1 which is 1)practice in current geography. We have our own chickens delivering eggs to our kitchen; local dairy delivering to our doorstep; gardens (canning, freezing); local purchases - farmers markets/CSA; recycle/reuse; rainwater collection; compost; solar use + school/certification in the works; etc. etc. actually... which is cool, to much good work in the right direction to write... My question is this: We have weaned ourselves down to just 1 trip to just 1 lucky retailer per month, for bathroom products and carbs (future plans are elimate "carby purchases" but like I said only at step 1 here).... So which one is cool enough to deserve our business? We're OUT of Safeway... Options are - Whole Foods; PCC; Discount Store; Costco; Fred Meyer; Trader Joes... Which 1 would you pick? Love to hear your opinion(s)!!! THANKS MUCH>MUCH PEACE>RESPECT>POWER TO THE PEACEFUL

DollDoctor

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Sounds like you are well on your way to self sufficiency - congratulations!
I'm not familiar with all the stores on your list. I think it depends on what your priorities are. Do you want to spend the least amount of money? If so, then you can eliminate Whole Foods from the list. Do you want to buy natural products? That would probably knock Costco out. If it were me, and I could only go to one store, I would choose the one that stocks the brands or items that I wanted the most. But that would be my priority, not necessarily yours.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
WELCOME to the forum
it is a great site!!

yes you are well on your way to making your life simpler and easier! :)
I only know Whole Foods store on your list....but why limit to one? If you are on the road, take advantage of sales at a few of the stores. 2-3 stops in one trip would be easy if you are already out there, you can stock what is the best from those stores on that one trip.

you sound like you have your life in good order--that is great!!!

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
:welcome

I agree with FC, spread it out. Shop the best deals.

Sounds like you have a really good start already.

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
No matter where I lived, I would find a Winco. There is one in Kent and in Federal Way. Their prices and bulk purchasing abilities make it the best value. I am fortunate that our local Winco is 1/4 mile away. I save so much money (generally about 50 cents to $1 per item) that I simply cannot show anywhere else in good conscience.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Costco actually pays their people descent wages. Trader Joe's has a good reputation too.

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
homestead holdout said:
My first post here - We're on a 5-step program to my definition of "sufficentselves".... We're pretty deep into step 1 which is 1)practice in current geography. We have our own chickens delivering eggs to our kitchen; local dairy delivering to our doorstep; gardens (canning, freezing); local purchases - farmers markets/CSA; recycle/reuse; rainwater collection; compost; solar use + school/certification in the works; etc. etc. actually... which is cool, to much good work in the right direction to write... My question is this: We have weaned ourselves down to just 1 trip to just 1 lucky retailer per month, for bathroom products and carbs (future plans are elimate "carby purchases" but like I said only at step 1 here).... So which one is cool enough to deserve our business? We're OUT of Safeway... Options are - Whole Foods; PCC; Discount Store; Costco; Fred Meyer; Trader Joes... Which 1 would you pick? Love to hear your opinion(s)!!! THANKS MUCH>MUCH PEACE>RESPECT>POWER TO THE PEACEFUL
[url]http://www.sufficientself.com/forum/uploads/thumbs/1102_img_0085.jpg[/url]
I would have to agree with diversify your shopping excursion. The above listed all have good area's but IMO not complete.
I love whole foods but they tend to be pricier than some same co-op items. My Mom raves about PCC (I have never been), I support Costco for certain purchases. Fred Meyer is one of my favorites for certain items. Safeway IMO is too spendy. I Love Trader Joe's but cannot always get everything I need. So in other words I do not have the right answer but I try to shop where the employee's are treated well and the environment is concern for the retailer. :welcome

homestead holdout

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Thanks so much for responces, exactly the information I was looking for. I probably should have listed my priorities but actually you covered them! I care to not support big corporations that dont give back and I also care about my own cost but willing to pay just a little more to support a good place..... Could be that deep into step 5 we dont need anyone! I struggle with TP alternatives however (lol).... So we'll probably always need that 1 trip.

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
I love Trader Joe's, I buy most of my food there. Whole Foods - Whole Wallet, although I've heard they're coming down in their prices because of that nick-name. I also purchase lots of stuff at the local, family owned health food store. I avoid huge supermarket chains like the plague, the only 'chain' we go to is Market Basket, low prices and also family owned. I will admit to going to Walmart - don't kill me - only because they are the only ones around that carry my Oakhurst Dairy milk. If they'd carry it at smaller venues I'd be all over it.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Welcome fellow Washingtonian! I totally dig Trader Joes, but it is quite small, at least the one in Tacoma is.

But if all you are after is "carbs", it should do. They carry basic supplies. Prices are pretty good for that type of stuff too.

Latest posts