Who should get our business?

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
hennypenny9 said:
Yes, their prices on alcohol are very good, which is why I buy wine (Lambrusco) there. But the store (at least up here, maybe this is not the case for all Trader Joe's) is mostly filled with prepared foods. Such as sushi, sandwiches, and frozen foods like their orange chicken.

I'm certainly not saying it's a BAD store! Just that in this case, asking which retailer would be the best option, I would pick Freddy's. Also, when I was looking for Castile soap, TJ's only had their brand, and one kind of Dr. Bronners's. Freddy's had five different options for that brand alone.

I'm wondering if this location has jacked up prices. It's Bellingham, where anything local or organic will fly off the shelves. This location is only six months old, it just opened. It's a major novelty, since there isn't another for a long drive. Also, we get a lot of Canadian business. :hu Maybe if she were to shop at your location it would be better. I suppose this is more reason to shop around. :p
Oh yes, definitely shop around. In the beginning it is a pain in the *neck*, but it so worthwhile to know what you want, and then check out various options for the best choice. Like Farmer Denise I have a list on the fridge - for TJs, for the local grocery store (usually Freddy's), for the Asian store (I do a lot of of Asian cooking), for this wonderful butcher shop we have rcently discovered with naturally raised meat, for my yearly trip to the SF Bay Area. When we first moved here we would take a trip to Eugene, an hour away, once a month. Since then though we have found other options and outlets (I'm learning all the time what my area offers) and only go up there every 6 to 8 weeks. I think it would be a major mistake to limit myself to one shop - for instance, in my town we have a Safeway, an Albertsons, and Fred Meyer. I go to Albertsons when I want fresh fish; the others can't compete. Freddy's is the best place for organic/natural foods. And Safeway has a wider array of produce (though in summer I buy at the local farm stand, what isn't in my garden). It is all a matter of what your priorities are, and what is offered where. Nowhere has everything at the best price or quantity.

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
While Trader Joe's does have quite a bit of prepared foods, they have plenty of the staples I buy all the time (fresh fruits, veggies, pasta, meats, etc). Their selection of frozen fish is great, I always have wild-caught salmon in my freezer for an excellent price. I don't buy flour or sugar there, but I buy ingredients for foods I prepare all the time - as well as the excellent prepared foods, I love their spinach pizza, frozen brown rice (for when I'm in a rush), some of their bagged frozen meals are great. The TJ near me doesn't have a liquor license so they can't sell any wine, unfortunately for those who drink it.

modern_pioneer

Mountain Man
Reaction score
:welcome

Interesting avatar, I have another friend that uses that avatar from another gardening forum I post on every now and then.

Welcome, you seem to be one your way to being ss already, congrats!!

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
I have to agree . . . I shop different stores for different items. I know that Costco has a great policy on fair wages, as others mentioned, such that the CEO doesn't make a ton more than the workers. But Costco doesn't have all the products that I prefer to buy. Fred Meyers (owned by Krogers) has the best selection at the lowest price, IME. But I'm not enthralled with Trader Joe's either . . . mostly because there isn't one close to me, but also because when I have gone, it did seem to me, as HennyPenny mentioned, that they mostly sell prepared foods. I would probably shop at PCC if there was one close by. They have a good selection and probably the best policies of all.

homestead holdout

Power Conserver
Reaction score
This is just so awesome to come home to... I really appreciate all of the feeback, it's very valuable for what we are doing. We just did a 3 day driving around S Washingon; Oregon Cascade range; Eugene; checking out/considering gardening climate, solar opportunities, small co-op communities, oh and swimming holes (look at what nature just delivers - unbelievable swimming hole/grotto in Quartville Creek)!
The way I see it, everything around these areas are within a few hours of Olympia, or Vancouver/Portland. That means the list of possible merchants on the "1 month shopping trip" is pretty darn good. But local shopping, we truly wont be close to anything but a tiny local market here and there. So there wont be that every few days or weekly run.... Again, thanks!