Whole Wheat Pasta

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Me, being the farthest thing from a chef and "kinda" far from being even called a cook, lol, I decided I am going to make my own pasta.

Don't have a clue.

I want to stop buying all pasta in the stores now. I am slowly switching over to less and less store bought items. If I am going to be SS then I need to learn.

Any fast, easy whole wheat pasta recipes from anyone?

Also, how do you make an elbow macaroni type noodle???--LOL-LOL---can it be done????? I don't have a clue at all.

thanks for any input. Before googling, I like to ask for tried and true used recipes from the members first. That way I get true experiences in making pasta vs. an internet page.....thanks guys

the simple life

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
I could be wrong but I am pretty sure you need a machine for those types of shaped ones.
I am so unfamiliar with this myself but I don't know if you need a machine for all of it.
I get those catalogs from places like Chef and Williams Sonoma and I see those machines in there all the time, I think thats why makes me think you need them.
They also sell these wooden racks for drying the pasta afterwards.
I have seen alot of pasta that comes fresh and not dried though.
But then again with all this self sufficiency here, someone probably knows how to do it without.
This would be interesting, I have toyed with the idea myself.
I made pumpking and butternut squash ravioli before but it was from the squares of dough and I made the filling and just filled.
Oh my gosh, now I want those for dinner.
Thanks alot Karen!!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
LOL Simple

ravioli type meals are delish. stuffing anything is a good way to eat..HA HA

now us SS people, we can't be buying those square --pre-cut dough products, we must learn to do it ourselves. (Hmm...looks who's talking here...I can't cook well let alone make ravioli....but I am going to learn..LOL)

You know this sounds crazy, but I want to learn to make it the old timey way......I don't want to buy a machine. I want to maybe get a small old timey hand crank something to squish pasta dough......but nothing expensive and fancy etc. I want to take things back to basics more and more. I just got to figure out how to get there.HA HA

I guess anything with a hollow tube down the middle like a elbow noodle must have a tool. I wonder if that type of noodle was even made in old times, more like just flat dough like ravioli meals, spaghetti meals, twisted noodle meals and such.

I wonder why lasagna noodles have curly edges?

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
I have never made whole wheat pasta as even the store bought has never been appealing to me. And I have trouble make 100%whole wheat bread that isn't a brick.
I have made regualr pasta in my earlier back to basic phase of life but even that proved to be too time consuming for me to keep up- even though it was very tasty. I have a hand crank Italian pasta press that can make lots of different shapes but not anything like elbow or canneloni (sp?) that has a hole though it.

Lets hear about your success when you give it a try- a good whole wheat pasta recipe would be nice to have.

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
If you don't have a machine, you can hand roll the pasta dough with a rolling pin for flat sheets. (noodles, ravioli, lasagna) You just won't be able to make intricate shapes.

If you have a Kitchen Aid mixer, they have a pasta attachment that fits on the front.

I used to work at a cooking school. You can get an inexpensive but reliable hand crank pasta machine for under $30, I think. Check to see if you have a local cooking school with a retail store attached. Where I worked, if you took a class, you got a discount on retail store purchases. I didn't see the pasta machine I was thinking of on the website (retail store) but it is very simple.

I have some other pasta recipes I can post later, but this one is excellent! (And it uses walnuts... :D )

Panzotti Alla Genovese
Homemade pasta

Dough:
3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, unbleached
4 jumbo eggs
1/4 cup dry white wine
1 teaspoon salt

Filling:
2 Tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon salt
1 clove garlic, mashed
1 pound fresh Spinach chiffonade
2 cups whole milk ricotta cheese drained
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
1 Tablespoon pine nuts, toasted 5 minutes
2 large egg yolks
1 Tablespoon parsley minced
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper

Instructions:
1. To make dough, place flour on wooden board and form into a mound. Make a deep well in the center and break eggs into it. Add water, wine and salt. Use a fork to break up eggs and mix contents of the well.
2. Slowly add flour, beginning at the top of the well so that the walls collapse and blend into the mixture. When flour is almost totally absorbed, begin kneading, pressing with the palms of your hands.
3. Knead dough for about 20 minutes, until it becomes smooth and elastic. (If dough is dry, add a few drops of water. If it is sticky, add a sprinkle of flour.) Gather dough into a ball, place in mixing bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and let it rest for 30 minutes. (To test for doneness, punch dough with your index finger. If it springs back, it is done.)
4. To make filling, cook spinach in olive oil with garlic until soft and dry.
5. Mix spinach with eggs, Parmesan cheese and other ingredients. Transfer mixture to a bowl. Season to taste and refrigerate until ready to use.
6. Break dough into lemon-size pieces and roll each piece into a long, thin sheet. Cut into 3x3 square, place 1 teaspoon of filling, then brush with egg glaze the edges to help to seal fold into a triangle. Draw the edges together and with your fingertips close each chamber by pinching the dough.
7. Spread panzotti on parchment paper that has been lightly sprinkled with cornmeal. Do not allow panzotti to touch. Let dry.
Bring 12-quart pot of water to boil. Add salt the panzotti and boil for 4-5 minutes. Drain panzotti.

Walnut Sauce

1/3 cup shelled walnuts
3 Tablespoons unsalted butter
2 cups heavy cream
3 ounces Parmigiano Reggiano Cheese
1 Tablespoon fresh basil chiffonade
1 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg

Instructions:
1. Preheat the oven to 375 F. Put the walnuts on a baking sheet and place in the oven. Roast until walnuts have a light golden color about 3-4 minutes.
2. Remove from oven and place in the bowl of a food processor. Pulse the machine on and off until walnuts are finely chopped. Transfer to a bowl until ready to use.
3. Heat the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. When the butter begins to foam, add the walnuts and stir once or twice. Add the cream and basil. Season lightly with salt and nutmeg. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring occasionally, until sauce has a medium-thick consistency, 13 to 15 minutes.
4. Place the panzotti in the skillet with the sauce. Mix briefly over low heat until panzotti and sauce are well combined. Taste, adjust seasoning, and serve.

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
MMMMmmmm....homemade perogies!!! (Don't ask me how to make them though because I never have!! :lol: I buy Mrs. T's!)

the simple life

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Karen, you can make your own ricotta cheese filling very easily.
I bought a cheese making book and the starters, its very simple.
In fact Pat and Chickens and I both have the same kit and when we were trying to make mozzarella we both ended up making ricotta (mistakes) so obviously its very easy to make since we both made it by mistake.
This way you can really have all homemade pasta
Hey if you have milking cows even better, you wouldn't have to use store bought milk.

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
Homemade Pasta

Making the Dough:
Technique is what should be stressed when making fresh pasta. Recipe amounts may not always be consistent. Humidity, temperature of your kitchen, egg sizes, flavorings and methods of making pasta all affect the amounts of your ingredients. So be patient and don't be afraid to make a mistake. You will learn from it and soon you will know the dough is just right just by the feel.

By Hand:
Form the flour into a well and pour in the eggs. Stir the eggs with a fork so that the flour is incorporated with the eggs. When the flour and eggs are combined, begin kneading the dough by hand until completely combined and smooth. Add drops of water if the dough is too dry or dust with flour if the dough feels wet.

In The Food Processor:
Place the flour in the processor with the eggs and pulse until the dough becomes grainy and can easily be pressed together with your hand. Place the dough out on to the table and finish kneading by hand or finish in the food processor by leaving it on for a few moments until it comes together. At this point make sure not to over-knead the dough.

Rolling Out The Pasta:
There are three methods to rolling out the pasta: By Hand, Hand Crank or Laminated, or Extruded.

Be careful not to overwork the dough in the rolling process which will make the dough tough. If the dough is too dry at this point and is cracking or falling apart, throw it away and start over. If the dough is too wet, dust it with flour while rolling or let it hang and air dry just a bit.

Cutting The Pasta:
There are three methods to cutting the pasta: By Hand, By Machine, or By Dies.

The Standard Cuts:
Fettuccine, Linguine, Spaghetti, Cappellini

The Alternative Cuts:
Bow Ties/Farfalle, Pappardelle, Lasagna, Ravioli/Agnolotti, Manicotti
Tubular shapes and twists musts be made with an extruder tht has optional dies.

Flavoring The Dough:

Dry Ingredients:
When flavoring the dough with dry ingredients such as pepper, herbs, curry powder, chili powder, cinnamon, etc., mix the flavorings with the flour in the beginning. The particular flavor cannot be adjusted at any time for more flavor.

Wet Ingredients:
When flavoring the dough with wet ingredients, the flavor should be added with the eggs. Based on the two egg recipe, you can add wet ingredients remembering to increase the flour or subtract one of the eggs. Examples of wet flavorings are lemon juice, squid ink, vegetable purees, etc.

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
I make a very simple homemade pasta noodle that can be rolled out and cut and cooked right away with out having to dry the noodles first....hmm I wonder where I put that recipe, though.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
My kids have one of those play dough funny heads that you extrude hair out of. Do you think I could make my own spagetti noodles? ;)

FC---I think you are on the right track. One more thing you can make yourself. What a great way to save.