Whole Wheat Pasta

poppycat

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I've made pasta with just my two hands and a rolling pin. It was ...um interesting. It seemed like I rolled and rolled and rolled. I decided that if I was serious about making pasta on a regular basis I would get one of those little crank things that forces the dough through two rollers (which, incidentally is how my very old school sicilian uncle makes his. I also see them frequently new in the box at Goodwill) If I dig around a little I might even be able to find his recipe which is most assuredly NOT whole wheat.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I have been experimenting with whole wheat pasta, and like the noodles and lasagna I make. I have not been able to get the durum or semolina wheat berries yet, but have been researching, and might be able to get kamut at Whole Foods, which is a higher protein wheat so might work better. Right now I am using hard red wheat, as it is all I have.

Here is my recipe, I developed it to work with my delicate and cranky digestive system:

Pasta (NT style)

1/8 cup whey
2 large eggs
tsp sea salt
1 to 2 cups whole wheat flour, freshly ground

Mix in food processor until it forms a stiff ball and leave in a greased bowl at room temperature for 12-24 hours, covered.

The standing time is for the cranky digestive system, not for any other reason.

Of course, you can mix it by hand and roll it out by hand. I just saw a hand-crank pasta machine at TJMaxx or Marshall's or Homegoods (all cousins of each other) on clearance for $15, a bargain! I've had mine for maybe 25 years, not used too much, but well-loved.

The all-whole wheat that I've made is a little touchy to work with. I run it through the rollers (instructions come with the machine) a few time, sprinkling it with flour and folding it in half each time, until the edges are no longer falling apart and it is more elastic. When this happens, STOP and just roll it until it is the desired thickness (think thick noodles, not delicate thin ones) and cut it. I drape the noodles over the rungs of my stacking cooling racks. I don't make very long noodles, as the traditional Italian mama's I know make.....too much trouble. They put broom handles between two chair backs and make very long noodles. I can just see my cats playing with them while they are drying!

I store them loosely in a big jar when fully dry, and usually cook some right away for supper. They are quite brittle, so need some care in handling. But absolutely wonderful! And anything made with freshly ground wheat does not have that bitter taste so common in whole wheat products.

I suspect that if I had the proper type of wheat, they wouldn't be so brittle. But it works, and I love it. Oh, and they cook up a bit stiffer than you might be used to, since you have to make them thicker with the all-whole wheat.....again, maybe not with the proper type of wheat.

Hope this helps!

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
freemotion said:
I store them loosely in a big jar when fully dry, and usually cook some right away for supper. They are quite brittle, so need some care in handling. But absolutely wonderful! And anything made with freshly ground wheat does not have that bitter taste so common in whole wheat products.

I suspect that if I had the proper type of wheat, they wouldn't be so brittle. But it works, and I love it. Oh, and they cook up a bit stiffer than you might be used to, since you have to make them thicker with the all-whole wheat.....again, maybe not with the proper type of wheat. Hope this helps!
Free, have you tried coiling them like a loose lasso or hose to dry? I find they store better.... but I am not using whey in my recipe.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
keljonma said:
Free, have you dried coiling them like a loose lasso or hose to dry? I find they store better.... but I am not using whey in my recipe.
Since the thicker noodles don't "drape" on the fork or spoon, they are easier to eat if broken into smaller lengths (except lasagna, of course). So it ends up being convenient to just put them in the jar broken into the length I want for cooking.

They are more like the rolled dumplings my memere made in her soups, just flour and water rolled out and cut into little squares and dropped into boiling stew. Very hearty and chewy. Yum!

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
I have this recipe in my files. It comes from Martha Stewart and uses farro pasta. There are notes about farro at the end of the recipe.

Farro Spaghetti with Three Kinds of Garlic
from Martha Stewart

SERVES 4

-Use farro pasta for added fiber, protein, and vitamin E.
-Store extra roasted garlic in a jar filled with olive oil in the refrigerator.
-To remove the odor of garlic from your fingers, rub them on a stainless steel spoon under running water.

INGREDIENTS:
1 head plus 8 cloves garlic
4 Tablespoons olive oil
Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
1 pound farro spaghetti or regular spaghetti
3/4 cup dry white wine or veggie broth
1 cup loosely packed chopped fresh parsley
1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, optional
Parmesan, for grating

INSTRUCTIONS:
1. Heat oven to 425. Wrap garlic head in parchment paper-lined foil; drizzle with 2 T oil, and season with salt and pepper. Roast until soft and golden, about 1 hour. Let cool, trim tip of head; squeeze out cloves, using back of knife. Transfer to small bowl; set aside.

2. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add salt and pasta; cook according to package directions until al dente; drain.

3. Thinly slice 5 cloves of unroasted garlic; finely chop remaining 3 cloves. Heat remaining 2 T oil over medium heat in a large skillet. Add sliced garlic; toast until golden and crisp. Using a slotted spoon, remove garlic; set aside. Add chopped garlic; saut until translucent, about 1 1/2 minutes. Add roasted garlic and white wine; let simmer about 3 minutes. Add pasta, parsley, and red pepper; season with salt and pepper. Toss to combine. Garnish with toasted garlic slivers; serve. Grate cheese over each serving, as desired.

Can drizzle Italian dressing or just extra virgin olive oil over pasta before serving also.

ABOUT FARRO PASTA:
Farro is an unhybridized ancestor of modern wheat. It has a hearty, nutty flavor, and has been grown throughout Europe for centuries. Today, with the renewed interest in traditional and organic foods, farro is featured on the menus of many of the best restaurants in Italy, and is rapidly gaining popularity in the United States.

Farro is a cereal grain. Unlike wheat, however, the farro husk adheres to the grain, just as in barley and oats. Its fiber content is therefore high, and so are its nutrients. Vitamin E, an antioxidant important to health and disease resistance, is prevalent in farro. Protein content is high also, and when combined with legumes like it is in many Tuscan Recipes, it forms a complete protein source.
About 90% of people allergic to hybridized wheat can tolerate farro products. Farro has a different genetic makeup than hybridized wheat, and its gluten is more easily digested. However, wheat-allergic people should consult with their physicians before trying farro.

Farro thrives on dry and well drained hillsides about 1,000 feet above sea level. Planted in October and harvested in June, farro survives in poor conditions and is best left alone. Although organic methods are used in its minimal cultivation, it is not certified by a third party agency.

Farro pasta is made from 100% farro flour. When cooking, remember not to stir during the first minute because farro pasta is more fragile than durum wheat pasta. Farro pasta, like all pasta, should be cooked with at least four quarts of water per pound of pasta.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Oooo, interesting! Sounds like the hard red wheat results. I'll have to keep my eye out for farro, but it doesn't sound familiar, so I don't think I will find it....

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
freemotion said:
Oooo, interesting! Sounds like the hard red wheat results. I'll have to keep my eye out for farro, but it doesn't sound familiar, so I don't think I will find it....
Specialty food stores, Whole Foods, maybe HEB Central Market, maybe Mustard Seed Market... that kind of place.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
We only have Whole Foods, which is a bit of a hike for me, and they are drastically cutting back on their whole foods! They will soon have to change their name to "Over-priced Deceptively Labelled Processed Convenience Foods Market" if you ask me!

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
:yuckyuck so sad it is true!

The nearest Whole Foods is over an hour away from us.... I wonder if I could convince the local Amish bulk store to start carrying it? ! :gig