Whoo Hoo! A hidden pantry!

StupidBird

Power Conserver
Reaction score
great! I have seen some "interesting" things while poking around buildings with my firefighter/inspector buddy... four feet is nothing.

I do know the plaster board between the attached garage and the house living space is required to be the thicker stuff, and I'm not supposed to have glass in the door between the garage and the front hall either for fire safety reasons. Don't know where to look up the codes though.

I have been in two house fires as a child (I didn't do it!) and tend to be rather focused on the subject. It sounds like a wonderful interior space for reinforcing for a tornado room. I am envious!

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
We had one house fire, and believe me, i saw how fast it started and how fast it spread...it was a rolling inferno in our living roon in minutes! I am very careful with fire now...that one started with a candle while we were in the kitchen having dinner. The ids learned alot from it too, they saw how fast it took over. My quick thinking husband put it out with a garden hose...much to my unbelief...I was just trying to convinc him to leave the house with me and the kids...he was in there with the hose and than draggin furniture out before the smoke fell and stained it beyond repair. He saved everything...I couldn't believe it
I can understand your preoccupation with fire safety :old I'm pretty fire concious as well. We don't have an attached garage, I have never liked them, especially in older homes that weren't build to code. I know alot of people who have had some close calls with them, and I know a couple who didn't make it.

S

sunsaver

That's amazing. I had something similar happen to me. My roof was covered with pine straw, and it was very cold and dry. I built a roaring fire in the wood stove to take the chill out of the house and cook some bacon and eggs. For some reason, i decided to get all dressed and go check out the garden. When i got outside i saw lots of white smoke. My stove pipe never smokes that bad so i walked around a saw the roof on fire! I grabbed the garden hose and put it out just in time. Now days, i clean the pine straw off the roof before i light the stove.

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
wow, 2 very lucky people right there.

i love fire in the confines of a safe vessle, but the thought of a house fire...it freeks me out...

peole laughed at us when we bought this house, its a raised ranch, and we turned the garage into living space, built a new garage and use that as storage simply because we dont want anything that has a tendency to explode (gas, chemicals ect) UNDER the bedrooms...

then i told a frined i planned on turnign the carport on my new house (hopefully soon to be) into a screened room and use it for living space. he was very confused and asked "but where will your car go?!

cars live OUTSIDE...

Latest posts