Whoo Hoo Pallets galore!!

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
No snow!! I am sure my kids would love it but the closest we get is frost. I think I am going with OFGirl on this one. There are two very long about 4 ft high pallets and lots of other sizes as well. I am thinking of building a kind of slant roof 4ft high back wall chicken shed type thing. Can you see it? The only thing I worry about is a floor. Should I lay some on blocks and cover with plywood? Or being that I am in So Cal skip the floor all together. I am thinking this is going to be hopefully a broiler pen.

When you free range birds and they have different houses will they go back to the right house at night? Or do they all get mixed up? Can you free range turkeys and chickens together? Sorry a bit off topic.

gina

ps thanks for reminding me about the Instructables page. They have a ton of great ideas.

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
This thread is exactly what I was looking for because we also have unlimited access to pallets. My husband refaced the wood shed with some nicer ones, but I was wondering what else we could do with them besides firewood and something to stack things on.

OhioFarmGirl, hello again, I think you wrote to me when I was called "Three Goat Mom". I'd love to hear how you made fencing. I need lots more fencing around here but I'm trying to make garden perimeters, dog and goat fencing and possibly duck fencing. If we could use pallets that would cut the expenses down tremendously.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I googled pallet projects and found lots of neat ideas. Instructables has great ideas as well. It's the taking them apart that I am going to have issues with. Not sure about that yet. Pleas keep us in the loop on what you come up with.

Thanks, gina

hwillm1977

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I bought a 'how to' on Ebay for building a chicken coop out of pallets... it's small (6 chickens), but that's all I need for laying hens. I'll build a bigger one for meat chickens, since we eat a lot more chicken than we do eggs :)

Theoretically my chicken coop will look somewhat similar to this... in reality I'm going to modify the plans to make the coop a little larger, so mine won't look nearly as cute, and neat (these are the pallet coop plans I have though):
PalletLarge1.jpg

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score

My dh and I built this last year for my rabbit. RIP. But on line with the addition of nesting boxes they are used as a small coop as well. I can see using pallet wood for something like this also. Most of the sides are 1 x 4's.

I like your little enclosed one as well.

gina

rileysgranny

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
knock off wood blog had a cute book shelf/dish shelf/what not shelf posted yesterday, made from a pallet. Really cute idea. You don't have to fool with taking out the nails, just cut the pallet apart and add a couple 2x4's.

Farmgirlpastandfuture

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I used pallets for my composting area. It was easy to set them up and wire them together.

Had a friend who layed them down in a soggy area that he needed a pathway. He just layed them down, added wood planks screwed on top to create a boardwalk.

I'm trying to gather a few more myself...not sure for what yet.