Who's starting their garden early?

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
TanksHill- the cirus can produce fairly fast if dwarf stock- standard takes a bit longer.
I have never felt comfortable in Southern California- pressure of population and all but my jaw just drops in amazement to see all the citrus that people grow in their little yards. Every place has it's rewards.
I grow citrus in pots on the porch- rolling them out to the front of the porch to get sun and back against the house when freezes are expected. My Meyer lemon produces for me regularly but frankly, the others produces mirco-fruit that is mostly rind. But still tasty so I keep up with them :lol:

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Yes, the citrus are dwarf stock. I like them because I can manage the tree by myself and it will not produce more than I need.
Oh, trust me if I could leave so cal I would. Home prices are dropping so low, now is not the time to cut and run. I will be toughing it out for a few more years. That is why I went ahead with the trees. My area is kinda rural and I am on just under two acres. No one breathing down my neck. We like it here, for now.

Bebop

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Does anyone have or know how to cheaply build a cold frame?
I got a book on solar greenhouses, but it's making it sound like it's a lot more expensive that it looks.
I might be answering my own question, but is it possible to just build one from pallet wood, black plastic, and plexiglass? Or would I need more?

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I am! .. I use a grow light on a clip on heat lamp holder thingy, it was only like $13 at home depot, it's just a cheap shop light really.

I'll have mine in the warm laundry room.

Not sure how early to start this year -_- lol.

I'm growing SO FARRRRR

Veggies

Cherry Tomatoes (Tiny Tim)
Some big tomatoes, not sure the variety yet.
Bell Peppers
Lettuces (not sure which varieties yet lol, i'm so unorganized)
Cucumber
Zucchini
Broccoli
Cauliflower
Sweet Peas
Beans (not sure the variety yet)
...... I will think of the rest later lol

Fruits

Hopefully Raspberries (I planted started canes, but I'm not sure if they'll take, if not I'll have to get some more this year and plant them)
Hopefully Blueberries (Same thing as the Rasp.)
Hopefully Blackberries (Same thing as the Rasp.)
HOPEFULLY Apples (I've got two trees out there, two different varieties that can pollenate each other)
Strawberries

Again, I'm so unorganized. Most of that is already planted, at least the fruits. The strawberries I have to start still, but the rest of those fruits are planted. We're going to be buying some pear trees, and nectarines this year as well as a cherry tree to go on our front lawn. I wanted magnolia, but it's not very pretty after blooming, and it doesn't produce so we're going to get a producing cherry tree or two for the front lawn knot garden.

Ohhhh and FYI, that's just our production garden, fruits and veggies we'll sell! ... I still have to plan the knot garden for the front which in the tradition of the victorian era will merge our flowers and fruits/veg in one knot garden with the rasp., blue., and blackberry bushes skirting the garden along a picket fence.

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Bebop said:
I got a book on solar greenhouses, but it's making it sound like it's a lot more expensive that it looks.
I might be answering my own question, but is it possible to just build one from pallet wood, black plastic, and plexiglass? Or would I need more?
Old windows and plexiglass.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Bebop said:
Just scrap lumber and old windows, an old screen door, or even a frame with plastic on it. My mother has even used hay bales with plastic on a old screen door frame. I have one with an old, recycled screen door that is covered with plastic in the winter. I am building two more that will be covered with my old shower doors.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
also another great way as cheap as the hay bales and window or old glass door........just dig a hole in the earth.

that is what my FIL does......digs a rectangle about 1 foot or so deep.....then tops with old window. He starts tons of cabbage plants this way and being in the ground keeps them warm and moist.

can't get cheaper than that....LOL...him growing up poor they did everything without costing money all the time.

Bebop

Power Conserver
Reaction score
haha that's pretty cool.
I'm going to see if it's okay to dig a hole..
>^.^<