Why aren't my chickens laying?

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
I have a chicken egg strike. 16 hens and 3 eggs a day for about two weeks now. We DID have snow and some hard frosts, weird for April, but winter ISN'T coming, so how can I convince them. They have the same food, free range, free choice pellets, plenty of scraps and protein snacks, etc. Not too much scratch.

Some of my chickens are two, about half. Is that part of the problem? I seem to get more eggs from the youngest ones. My Buff Orpingtons in particular are laying few eggs despite looking great.

Any ideas? At this rate I'm going to need to start having a lot of chicken soup or selling my BOs.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I have heard there is a way to check to see if you rchooks are laying or not, something about the vent being moist, and the combs being redder. I have 13 hens at present, but only reliably get 9 eggs a day, so I need to figure out how to tell who is laying and who is not.

have you checked for lice, etc? I'm sure there are conditions out there that cause them to not lay, but Idk what they are.

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
Well I do have two that are molting, but I'll give them a pass, even though my EEs are molting and laying just fine.

They don't seem to have lice. I have a few with "rooster wear". But at this rate they are barely keeping up with our consumption. Usually I support my flock through egg sales.

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
is something scaring them??? sometimes if there is a predator around (like a bear) they might freak out.

or they are hiding their eggs. malcontents.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Also make real sure the eggs are not being laid but then eaten (by the chickens themselves or by anything else including rats)

if it really is a supply-side problem, you might try giving them some extra protein and extra calcium for a week or so, sometimes that gets them going again.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Oooh, and I heard putting cayenne pepper int heri food wil make them lay. don't know if it is true, but couldn't hurt to try :p:p

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
I did pick up a freezer full of freezer burnt free meat and I've been parceling it out to them a little each day. So far this extreme protein boost has not had an effect, but I'm only on day three.

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
Production layers lay most of their eggs by the time they are 2.
Economically, especially in our climate, we do not keep hens past two.
We hatch new ones out every year so that egg production does not lag for us.

Also, I believe it takes several days for an egg to form. 5-7?

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
Two seems so young to already drop off production.