Why aren't my chickens laying?

old fashioned

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
worms, grubs & bugs are good for protein and they are free, ya just have to shovel em up :D

As for sexlinks, our original 3 hens were S/L's that we got when they were about 1 1/2 years old. One never did lay, she had something wrong with her. She'd walk upright like a penguin and stagger to the left. Some days were better than others, then she died. The other two eventually got that 'hunkered' look about them that I think meant they ended up dying from internal laying. One of those two was my star layer and laid every day with the exception of when she was attacked by the neighbor dog-she took a month off to heal and the last day or two of her life. They were about 2 to 2 1/2 yo when they died.

We now have a Plymouth Rock (I think) she's got the black & white stripes but also a brownish tinge. The other hen is greenish black with copper around the neck. They now are nearing 2 yo & they've always been unpredictable about laying

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
They don't eat scrambled eggs????? Wow, I can't help you then, even my chickens that won't eat any other people food will eat scrambled eggs (or even just broken into bowl, microwaved, then roughly ripped into pieces). Chopped up cooked freezerburned meat? Or, next time you boil or roast a chicken, give them the carcass to pick the last bits of meat off? Mine like that.
Yeah, my chickens gotta be "different". :/ I tried scrambled eggs twice, they wouldn't touch them. But next time DH has leftover meat scraps, I'll try it.

(e.t.a. -- sunflower seeds are also a decent source of protein [better than chicken feed anyhow], or cooked dried beans)
I have some raw, shelled SF seeds; we'll see if that works! :)