Why did the rooster cross the road? Now I'm sad...

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
I think it would be nice, if your neighbor would accept some hens from you. Maybe he is just discouraged, since he lost all his hens. He might also feel somewhat alone, from what you discribed of him. Then the concept of taking care of chickens might just be too much for him.
I hope you can convince him to take some of your chickens. That would be much better, than rehoming the roo. It might make your neighbor feel needed too.

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
Aww. Poor boy is lonely. Is he getting along with your roo lately? Just let him stay? We have a bantam Old English Game Cock who would love to have his way with the girls, but he is just too small for full sized hens. Doesn't keep him from trying, though.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
This guy is not a bantam. He is a standard size for old english, but standard OEGs are regular bantam size, as in he is as big as my silkie- mutt Buffy. Right now, he is being kept in the dog kennel when we can't watch him, and is brought out with the others free ranging when are are home to watch. So far, the other two roos are chasing him away, and he is behaving himself.

We are not keeping him though. We have decided to list him for free on kijiji.