WHY do you prepare? Why whole wheat?

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Will you feel better if I let you sing? How about a song....what would be appropriate to this situation?

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
as in:

They're coming to take me away
Ha-ha, hee-hee, ho-ho
To the funny farm,
where life is beautiful
All day long!

Yep, that about describes me! :ya

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Or this:

Nobody loves me, everybody hates me, I'm goin' out to eat worms.
Big fat, juicy ones, little skinny-winny ones, I'm going' out to eat worms!

First you bite the heads off, then you suck the juice out, then you throw the skins away.

Nobody loves me, everybody hates me, I could eat worms all day!
:lol: :p

melgsix

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
freemotion said:
Just wondering, I guess. I am not a major-disaster type person, either. The big ones that came....was anyone really prepared for them anyways?

I have been sorting through things in my house and came across a box in the cellar that I set up after 9/11. I was on the MERT (Massage Emergency Response Team) that went to Ground Zero, NYC and we were required to have certain items.....which went into the box in the cellar after carrying them into the city just once!

Long past due to dismantle that box and chuck, donate, or put away the items in it. After being there, they wouldn't've saved me from anything, anyways!
I know of people who survived off their 72 hour kits and food storage after huricane Katrina.

Our power was out for over a week one time and we survived on our emergency food that didn't need to be cooked because we had no way to cook the food in the house.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Good point. But my kit was in the basement. I have so much stored food, that it would be a year or even two before I dug out that kit.

tamlynn

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
:lol: you all are funny.

The reason to store things like wheat, white rice and dried beans is because they can last 30 years or more when stored properly, they will sustain life when other foods are not available, they can be cooked whole, ground into flour and even sprouted -which changes the nutritional value from a grain to a veggie.

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have been in kind of a lulled state lately, loosing memory on why I have started storing, loosing memory about how bad the economy is or may become, hypnotized by irrelevant media, the hum of daily living.

So today I got woke up.

I was watching Lou Dobbs this evening. I didn't get the whole drift of the report. He had these two older talking heads on, one of whom said, and I did get that the segment was about the economy, and he said that the Sh^t hasn't really hit the fan yet, the other shoe has not dropped. He said it was going to be bad. and when Dobbs tried to redirect the question he persisted, repeating what he had said...then it was over.

Back in college, 1972, I took a class that dealt with the prognosis for a corporate world. Frankly it scared the begeebers out of me and I had been seeking my way back to the land ever since, and now it seems that I may just arrive this year.

I have been thinking, wondering if that class I took so long ago was about to come to realization... I was wondering if WHY I am storing food is just plain crazy... not that storing food in and of itself is crazy, I don't think its crazy, but its the WHY of it, the why I do it.

When it gets down to it, and I am not one to admit to fear, I am really afraid of what I think my be coming our way as a nation...so bottom line this is why I store food.

I purchased a manual grain grinder today to go with my 45lbs of red wheat. Guess thats about 45 pounds of bread to be had? Maybe another bucket is in order.