WHY do you prepare? Why whole wheat?

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Wow, I am soooo jealous of all your jars!!! Well, I did just start in August, so I have some catching up to do....but I worry about availability getting scarce, etc. like it did here last fall. Especially if the economy continues to decline. So I just found a $5-off gift card ($20 minimum purchase) that is about to expire for the store that does carry them year-round, I will be buying two cases this week and try to get onto the Sunday morning tag sale!

DuppyDo

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
SKR8PN....i'm always on the lookout for canning jars, have found a few great bargins in the past few months.I search yard sales ,thrift shops, do free advertising on a local radio station, requesting used canning stuff....it all adds up..! I'm almost out of qt jars, still looking...i have a couple hundred qts of chicken in broth, blueberries, chicken soup,tomatoes, and salsa..
As i write this i'm waiting on the last 7 qts of 21 chicken i did today to finish. I found boneless, skinless chicken breast for $1.68 a lb.I do 7 qts at a time,finishing up my 3rd batch.It takes about 14-15 lbs for 7 qts.
I couldn't resist that low price.I like the idea of canning also, because i don't have to worry about a blackout and a freezer melt down, I don't have a emergency generator.All i have to do is keep rotating stock. Canned chicken last for about two yrs from what i've read..
I'm doing the bulk storage thing as well..Wheat, rice, oats and such..Its plenty of extra work doing all this stuff, but i think its worth the effort. Better safe than sorry, things are pretty shakey these days.I love taking advantage of a bargin anyway, good time or bad...:) Also its pretty neat, when you can grow/hunt some of your own food and stach some away...It really make you wonder about how tough things were for pioneers and settlers in new lands...!

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
Glad to see we aren't the only ones preparing for the worse. I did install a propane fired backup generator about 4 years ago, but I have ALWAYS had at least a portable one and few gallons of gasoline just in case. That all paid off handsomely during the big ice storm we had 5 years ago. We were without power or phone service for 5 days. The genset I had at the time was enough to keep the sump pumps, the freezers and few lights going during that time,but not enough to run the electric heat. We won't ever have that problem again. ;)
One more thing I have stockpiling is ammunition for the .22. the .223 the 12 guage and the muzzle loader. I also have three dozen arrows fletched and tipped,so I can hunt anything any season.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
freemotion said:
dacjohns said:
Why do I prepare?

Look at my thread.
Your journal?
Oh, found it!!! Haven't been following the journals, it seems like too much reading with all the other stuff I am now addicted to here!!!

(except my evil twin ;);) )

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
:lol: :lol: If only to see if we are doing the same thing at the same time, huh? :p

Well, if anyone else is reading my journal, you will find the horrible outcome of NOT being prepared and of not being more careful on icy roads. Should have kept that full coverage insurance!!! :he

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I also have three dozen arrows fletched and tipped,so I can hunt anything any season.
I am building up my supply. Bought myself some finger guards and a pack of tips for Christmas. I knew hubby...
1) wouldn't believe that is what I really wanted
2) know what to get and
3) find the archery section in Sportman's Warehouse to begin with
4) not give me a safety lecture

(that's what I get for marrying the son of a lawyer.... "You'll poke your eye out!")

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
freemotion said:
freemotion said:
dacjohns said:
Why do I prepare?

Look at my thread.
Your journal?
Oh, found it!!! Haven't been following the journals, it seems like too much reading with all the other stuff I am now addicted to here!!!

OK, now I am quoting myself, how pathetic is that?!? I want to clarify, not to sound cold or callous.....coming into this forum so late, I see 40-50 pages on each journal thread, and it seems impossible to catch up, and jumping in at the end, seems impossible to know what is going on. Kinda like squeezing into a circle of people at a party in the middle of an intense conversation, when I don't really know them....feels awkward. So I hope I didn't offend anyone. :rolleyes:

dacjohns

Our Frustrated Curmudgeon
Reaction score
freemotion said:
freemotion said:
freemotion said:
Your journal?

OK, now I am quoting myself, how pathetic is that?!? I want to clarify, not to sound cold or callous.....coming into this forum so late, I see 40-50 pages on each journal thread, and it seems impossible to catch up, and jumping in at the end, seems impossible to know what is going on. Kinda like squeezing into a circle of people at a party in the middle of an intense conversation, when I don't really know them....feels awkward. So I hope I didn't offend anyone. :rolleyes:
I am terribly offended. :gig

I also wanted to quote myself.