Reaction score
SKR8PN said:
Are you worried about shortages?
Yup!
Money becoming worthless?
Yup!
Crop failures?
Yup!
Not to mention all food production shutting down or all the trucking companies not being able to afford fuel to run the trucks because of a total monetary collapse.

Ammunition and firearms are no longer a problem in this house. :D
Yes, I worry about all that too, I also worry about being the only person left in the neighborhood with a full pantry LOL!

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Yes, I worry about all that too, I also worry about being the only person left in the neighborhood with a full pantry LOL!

Thats one of my own fears....and we do NOT have the firepower to protect our own.....yet! ;)

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Ditto here. I think there is a reasonable possibility that the economy could totally dismantle into a billion bits and pieces. I don't know for sure...but I at this point am not willing to be unprepared for the worst.

Guess I maybe got this tendency from my father who built a fallout shelter in our back yard when I was a kid. It connected to the basement and my mom stocked food in it. It was during the cuban missile crisis I think..I was in second grade.

I think that these times are far more worrisome. I stocked for the 2000 change over but only to get by for about 2 months..I figured was reasonable at that time. Now I am working on two years and making plans for sustainable garden etc.

We could have a few million homeless by years end. How long will the government keep printing money, providing food stamps to the countless unemployed masses? We are hoping to move out of the city by end of summer..don't know if it will happen yet...but we are preparing a place 110 miles from any city

dacjohns

Our Frustrated Curmudgeon
Reaction score
Unemployment.

Natural disasters.

The possibility of just general hard times.

And my Church has counseled that we do it.

Sunny

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I am starting to stock up on stuff.. I live in a small town. Well not to small, there is 5,000 people.. And I have noticed that the stores are already not getting some of my favorite foods or favorite flavors of things.. And the place I buy diapers, which is 20 minutes from me.. They are running out of alot of stuff.. And their shipments keep getting later or not showing up.. Or some stuff didnt arrive on the shipping dates.. Like I am having a hard time finding my sons diaper size..Good thing he is almost out of them. The pet food section has not been getting their dog food shipments.. I notice that the stores are carrying less items.. And the price of things has gone up..

I have a funny feeling things are going to get way worse before getting better..

The place we get our car parts at.. Their shipments are not coming when expected either..

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
My hunting husband was at an outdoor sports store yesterday and could not get ammunition. They simply didn't have it. He's heard that some of the materials used to make it are simply not available--layoffs of plants? I don't know.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Increased demand. Ammo shortages have made the news lately.

Natural disasters are a good reason to have extra on hand. We had flooding, horrible storms, and a power tower wash out a few years back. It was over a week before we got power back. You do NOT want to be trying to get supplies you need DURING a disaster along with all the other idiots who didn't plan ahead. (If you ever had to use 14 different scented tea candles for light, you would REALLY appreciate a good oil lamp and a Coleman lantern :D )

Then, of course, there is the possibility of economic collapse, massive inflation, shortages, and the zombie apocalypse.

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
Increased demand. Ammo shortages have made the news lately.

Natural disasters are a good reason to have extra on hand. We had flooding, horrible storms, and a power tower wash out a few years back. It was over a week before we got power back. You do NOT want to be trying to get supplies you need DURING a disaster along with all the other idiots who didn't plan ahead. (If you ever had to use 14 different scented tea candles for light, you would REALLY appreciate a good oil lamp and a Coleman lantern :D )

Then, of course, there is the possibility of economic collapse, massive inflation, shortages, and the zombie apocalypse.
I never could figure out the fascination with tea candles...useless useless useless...and the shame is that almost every reallu nicely glassed cheapo lantern that would otherwide throw a good amount of light is set of for those stupid tea candles...who's idea was that anyway???
The candle I have that actually throws the best light during power outages is a 3" round 5" tall candle inside a mason jar...those mason jars seem to really reflect light well for some reason

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Now you tell me! LOL

Like I said, better to learn and prepare now than to find out in the middle of a complete mess.

The tea candles were all that were left by the time I got off work. I couldn't find a battery to save my life.

I did have a semi-good camping stash, but I found out quickly the flaws in my system that day :p

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Put your candles in front of mirrors to get twice the light. Even a shiny pan will do. Some old-fashioned candle wall sconces have mirror glass behind the candle.

Tea lights are useful in aromatherapy warmers, as pure essential oils need very gentle heat. They are about as useful for light as a nightlight.....which is useful, but just so you don't crash into anything!

I also used to use the tea lights in my massage practice, in a small candle holder, for ambiance....and the occasional parasympathetic response (foofing).....because they are cheap and easy to clean up.

I now avoid using parafin candles on a regular basis because of the toxins that are put into my breathing space. I do keep a stash for emergencies. One day, I will keep bees and make my own beeswax candles!!! Pure and natural and renewable......as long as I am not unknowingly near any Bayer-product-using farmer and end up with hive collapse.

Latest posts