Why do you store food?

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Freemotion...please explain about the hive collapse when you get a chance. I have only read a little bit about it. I thought it was a lack of genetic diversity in the bees.

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
Here is an article about the pesticides killing bees.

It is interesting to me that about the time I read about this, the colony collapse disorder was no longer being discussed by the media. I don't think the general public has been told.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
OK, warning, rant coming, run for cover! :hide

Don't expect news programs, newspapers, or magazines to give you any real or accurate news. Just count the pharmaceutical ads in any of these sources.....they are NOT going to run a story that will get their major advertisers to leave them in droves. So of course the news that Bayer is destroying our food supply in this country didn't make the major news outlets!!! :rant

Think about that, too, when you are looking for health advice from magazines like Prevention. Count the ads. Many are "hidden" as articles or disguised with lots of pictures of plants and fruits and vegetables. I have taken CME/CEU courses in nutritional intervention and am disgusted with the misleading info in sources like Prevention.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Rant away my friend! Between the pharma companies, the government health organizations and mainstream doctors, I am surprised any of us are still alive!!!!

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
:gig

I guess my point was that I found it interesting, not that it surprised me. I don't buy most of what I'm sold. ;)

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
freemotion said:
OK, warning, rant coming, run for cover! :hide

Don't expect news programs, newspapers, or magazines to give you any real or accurate news. Just count the pharmaceutical ads in any of these sources.....they are NOT going to run a story that will get their major advertisers to leave them in droves. So of course the news that Bayer is destroying our food supply in this country didn't make the major news outlets!!! :rant
You will want to see this video. Bayer was a Nazi company and still is in my opinion.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcFDOWIl7Nw&feature=related

Want2BFarmer

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I really hope I never see a food shortage......but in the winter months I wish I had fresh food instead of having to buy at the supermarket...working each year to make this dream a reality:)

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Why do I store food?

Well, I guess for the same reason I gas up my tank when its getting low, but not close to empty. Because when the tank is about on empty is the wrong time to be looking for a gas station. For the same reason you buy toothepaste before the tube is done....so you won't be caught without any at all when you really need it.

I don't hoard food, by any means, but I don't want to be unprepared if, or when, I may not be able to access my usual resources for money or for a food supply.

This year, however, I plan to squirrel away all I can grow, raise on the hoof, gather or barter. Same with my wood supply.

I just happened to become blessed with a big supply of wheat sealed up for storage, but I wouldn't have went looking for that. I would never have had the money to do that on my own. That God provided this for me seemed somehow significant, and I'm not one to ignore good advice. I took it as a sign that God wanted me well-supplied...and who am I to question that? :p

My regular foods from the store have raised by $.25-$.40 per item in the last year alone. That may not seem like alot, until you buy 100 items. Based on my current purchase schedule, it adds up to approx. $792 per year more than I paid last year for groceries.

Based on that knowledge, I can only assume that it will maybe double by next year....maybe not. I don't want to be caught "on empty" just in case it does, you know?

SS lifestyling is just the wisdom to know how to, and to prepare for, being self-sustaining. I think supplying your own food as cheaply and efficiently as you can is the most important part of that.

The second most important is devising a way to be able to grow and store your own food, in case your usual resources are no longer available to you. Costco or Sams may not always be there for bulk food purchases, or the money may not always be there with which to buy bulk foods...or maybe foods will no longer be available in bulk. Who knows? :hu

Latest posts