Status
Not open for further replies.

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
ThrottleJockey said:
DeniseCharleson said:
k15n1 said:
Well, I've waded through some of these abstracts and it seems that you've selected some studies that demonstrate that there's no obvious effects of GMO feed.
How many scientific studies, published in peer-reviewed journals, have you found that conclude there *are* deleterious effects from GMO feed?
[1] See http://www.aaemonline.org/gmopost.html
[2] See www.biointegrity.org
[3] See Part 2, Jeffrey M. Smith, Genetic Roulette: The Documented Health Risks of Genetically Engineered Foods, Yes! Books, Fairfield, IA 2007
You know, books and non-scientific articles are not peer reviewed. This means they are a way to get out minority opinion which can be important because sometimes there's stadium criticism in science. But on the other hand, the work is often less credible because it has not been vetted by experts. For a technical topic like this, I think expert review is important.

mississippifarmboy

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I have no idea if GMs are bad for you or not. Seriously. I'm not a scientist nor have I studied them.

But I'll pass on them thank you.

And not to argue, but there is a world of difference (in my eyes anyway) between natural hybrid crosses between the corn crops in my garden and in some guy in a lab somewhere putting a frog genes in my 'mater.

just sayin'

ThrottleJockey

Power Conserver
Reaction score
mississippifarmboy said:
I have no idea if GMs are bad for you or not. Seriously. I'm not a scientist nor have I studied them.

But I'll pass on them thank you.

And not to argue, but there is a world of difference (in my eyes anyway) between natural hybrid crosses between the corn crops in my garden and in some guy in a lab somewhere putting a frog genes in my 'mater.

just sayin'
You just THINK you'll pass on them. I seriously doubt a day goes by that you don't consume a GM product of some sort.

mississippifarmboy

Power Conserver
Reaction score
ThrottleJockey said:
You just THINK you'll pass on them. I seriously doubt a day goes by that you don't consume a GM product of some sort.
You are probably right. But I won't buy them or eat them knowingly.

I bought the kids a 5 buck pizza last night, the first time I've ate takeout food in months. We raise most everything we eat. Groceries the past few months has been a little tea, coffee, flour, meal and sugar. I'm sure there are some GMs in there somewhere, but I, like most here, try to avoid it.

so lucky

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
mississippifarmboy said:
ThrottleJockey said:

I bought the kids a 5 buck pizza last night, the first time I've ate takeout food in months. We raise most everything we eat. Groceries the past few months has been a little tea, coffee, flour, meal and sugar. I'm sure there are some GMs in there somewhere, but I, like most here, try to avoid it.
Cornmeal and sugar, for starters.

ThrottleJockey

Power Conserver
Reaction score
so lucky said:
mississippifarmboy said:
ThrottleJockey said:

Cornmeal and sugar, for starters.
And flour. Let's not forget any meat as the animals are fed GM feed and it seems to leach through.

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We bought 4 bu (~30 gal) of organic wheat and grind it ourselves. Picking out the weed seeds and grinding it by hand has additional health benefits---you'll just use less flour :)

My new-year's resolution is to quit drinking soda that contains corn products. I'm ramping down now to avoid the shock of quitting cold turkey. Ultimately, I'd like to produce all of the sugar my family consumes. I'm going to grow sugar beets next summer. Depending on how that goes and the subsequent incorporation of beet-syrup into various baked goods, I'll re-evaluate my ultimate goal.

Blaundee

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Well, after reading the replies, my thought on it is the same as my original thought- it's just selective breeding on a more rigorous schedule. Interesting.

Blaundee

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
Only one thing ya gotta know about GMOs...if they aren't fit for bugs or fungus to eat, they aren't fittin' for human consumption. That's it in a nutshell.
Do not take this wrong, I'm not challenging you/etc- simply asking... do you use antibiotics?

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
okra said:
Question - why do we need GM? Is it because corporations can make large profits? Does the world not have enough land to grow all the food for human consumption needed? How much land is dedicated to growing food for animals not humans? I could ask many more questions but .................I think the profit motive has more to do with GM than any desire to help humanity.
Really? just how much food does Cyprus [where you claim to be] export? How much is imported? Most of your good land is used by tourists and the international Rich that come for the sunny skies and the lack of cold winters, does that help humanity or only the wealthy part of it?

Status
Not open for further replies.