Why we should DEMAND mandatory labels for GM food

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
big brown horse said:
Labeling ignores that all foods are genetically modified. Almost all foods have been genetically modified in the sense that they are the result of breeding between plants and species. It is wrong, therefore, to label foods that have been genetically modified with more modern techniques, as the only "genetically modified" foods on the shelf, when, in truth, almost all the foods have been modified in a similar way.
Snort!! You have got to be joshing me! Like hybridized vegetables are the same as genetically engineered. Puhleeeze.

THEFAN

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I very much agree with what you are asking. My daughter and I have been a member of our local grange http://www.u-s-history.com/pages/h854.html for 2 yrs and after seeing the cycle of operation I have had some moments of ........O MY GOD!!!! Just this past Sept I found out that the Maine State Grange http://mainestategrange.org/GRANGE/ indorcess GM food but they have yet to take a stand on labeling. I am trying to figure out where they do stand. I've been trying to put a letter togteher to ask that the Maine State Grange , asking for labeling for GM ingrediants. We'll see!!!

Don

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
me&thegals said:
big brown horse said:
Labeling ignores that all foods are genetically modified. Almost all foods have been genetically modified in the sense that they are the result of breeding between plants and species. It is wrong, therefore, to label foods that have been genetically modified with more modern techniques, as the only "genetically modified" foods on the shelf, when, in truth, almost all the foods have been modified in a similar way.
Snort!! You have got to be joshing me! Like hybridized vegetables are the same as genetically engineered. Puhleeeze.
I've heard that argument before and have the same reaction. Inserting genes is far different than crossing with pollens. But to the uneducated that seems a reasonable statement, and that's who they're appealing to with their stupid list, the uneducated masses.

GardenWeasel

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I won't rant and rave because you all have made good points. A very helpful site (at least for me) has been the Center for Food Safety. You can at least be heard as there are action calls to send to your government officials. They were successful in shooting down the large scale planting of GMO wild rice in Michigan. I just feel like I am being heard more And have received responses from local officials, although they tend to pooh pooh me. The more they hear it maybe it will sink in. They have a list available of known GM foods, not everything but it is a start.

bibliophile birds

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score

Consumers can avoid GM foods by eating "organic" Organic foods are without GM ingredients. If people want to avoid consuming GM foods, they can easily do so by eating organic foods. They have complete choice.
wow. i mean, you know that these people are whacked and persistent, but sometimes they still manage to stop you in your tracks.

all foods are GM? interesting. so, according to them, there is no difference between cross-pollinating corn varieties and splicing fish DNA into soybeans? amazing. i guess i will just run on out to the garden shed and get to splicing then, since it's such an easy, thoughtless technology.

just go organic? while i would love it if everyone could just switch to organics, some people will never be able to do that as easily as these a**holes want to make it seem. ever heard of WIC? WIC does not support organic foods, so if you are relying on that program to feed your family, hope you don't mind being a dumping ground for GM foods.

ughhhhhhhhhh, these people make me so angry.

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Well, in all fairness, BB, those people find you annoying because you insist on using your brain! ;)

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
reinbeau said:
Well, in all fairness, BB, those people find you annoying because you insist on using your brain! ;)
:yuckyuck

It is maddening isnt it? Spread the word, most of my friends and family back home in TX had no idea about GM foods.

(I know this year my 25X25 ft garden will be bigger and better.)

bibliophile birds

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
reinbeau said:
so true. i see this all the time even with my sister, who threatened to slap my in the middle of Babies R'Us this summer because i insisted on inspecting every single thing before she could register for it.

no niece of mine is going to grow up sucking on BPA and blissfully gulping down GM soy formula, and i'll take a public slap to get it done.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Ahhhhh... But not thinking it just so much easier! Think how many things can weasle by a population who is too busy watching TV and reading People rather than thinking about what they are eating, wearing and using.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
me&thegals said:
Ahhhhh... But not thinking it just so much easier! Think how many things can weasle by a population who is too busy watching TV and reading People rather than thinking about what they are eating, wearing and using.
Yup, sad but true. We don't know anything about what we put into our bodies, or what is contaminating our land, but we know everything about young hollywood. :rolleyes:

(We as in the general public, not us ;) here on sufficientself.)