Why would a chicken throw up?

Avalon1984

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
i_am2bz said:
Wouldn't you know, I'm going on vacation for a week starting Saturday?? Sure hope she's okay by then!! Surgery isn't an option; there aren't even any poutry vets around here (except at the vet school). I did hold her upside down & "emptied" her earlier.

Anyone know when I should offer her food again? I mean, how long do I make her "fast"...?

Thanks for all your suggestions!!!
Don't do the food for at least a few days. When you give her yoghurt and water, keep a close eye on her crop. Make sure it is going down. if it blocks up again, you cannot feed her yet. oh, and I forgot, maybe put some electrolytes in the water. When you reintroduce feed, do it really slow. I would also try and find out what caused the blockage. did she get into some hay? What did you see come out when she threw up?

Chickens are the personification of Murphys law. They get sick when you need it the least. Like horses. Mine only get sick on Sunday afternoons :rolleyes:

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Avalon1984 said:
i_am2bz said:
Wouldn't you know, I'm going on vacation for a week starting Saturday?? Sure hope she's okay by then!! Surgery isn't an option; there aren't even any poutry vets around here (except at the vet school). I did hold her upside down & "emptied" her earlier.

Anyone know when I should offer her food again? I mean, how long do I make her "fast"...?

Thanks for all your suggestions!!!
Don't do the food for at least a few days. When you give her yoghurt and water, keep a close eye on her crop. Make sure it is going down. if it blocks up again, you cannot feed her yet. oh, and I forgot, maybe put some electrolytes in the water. When you reintroduce feed, do it really slow. I would also try and find out what caused the blockage. did she get into some hay? What did you see come out when she threw up?

Chickens are the personification of Murphys law. They get sick when you need it the least. Like horses. Mine only get sick on Sunday afternoons :rolleyes:
Ain't that the truth!! I wouldn't be in such a panic if I was going to be here...I sure can't dump all this on my pet-sitter, she's nervous enough just feeding them! :/

I've already given her yogurt, but she doesn't seem interested. Another website suggested cold mashed potatoes, so I've already tried that too. No appetite, which I can completely understand. Would Pedialyte work for electrolytes? Who knows what she got into. Honestly, I didn't inspect her vomit, it all just went into the grass. Guess I should try to get some on a paper plate or something...? :p

I emailed a poultry vet in CA (thanks to forum member MsPony, wherever she is!!), who advised flushing with chlorhexidine & giving antibiotics. I have a call into my normal cat/dog vet to see if she can assist with that. She knows nothing about chickens but always seems "game" for trying new things. :fl

Avalon1984

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
That is a tough situation. I wish Id live closer then I could help you but this little hen really needs your help. She may refuse to eat but she does need to eat something. More than likely this may have been going on for a few days already and you just dont know how much she has eaten since then. She may be pretty weak. I am not sure about the pedialyte. The only children stuff I used on chickens is the childrens aspirin. Under normal circumstances Id say it probably wouldnt hurt but I am not sure if this is a good time for an experiment. Do you have a TCS or Farm Store nearby? They usually always have poultry electrolytes and it will give you the exact amounts on the bag. It comes in a little aluminum bag. Have you been able to get some apple cider vinegar? Your vets suggestion sounds good. Not sure how to do it. Maybe force feed it with a syringe? Poultry antibiotics are usually available at the feed store also. The key is that you find whats blocking it, remove the blockage, make sure the crop is clean and you can try and feed her some food. If all goes well it will go through well again once the obstruction is removed. Its the removing part where it gets tricky.

hoosier

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
You can use a syringe. If you have two people, it is easier. If you are alone, set the hen on a table and pull her legs out behind her. You will be able to do it alone if you have to. Good luck with your hen.

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Yeah, I wished you lived nearby too, Avalon!! I don't know anyone else near me who raises chickens so I'm always "on my own" with this stuff. :/ That's why I'm hoping I can get my regular vet to help me out. Like I said, the pressure is on because I'm leaving on Saturday. If I had a lot of time & could run around & get everything I need. There's a TSC but it's about a half-hour drive. Yes, once the obstruction is gone I think she'll be okay. I want her on the mend, or...if not, I'll be worried the whole time & not enjoy my vacation.

hoosier - do you mean, lay her down on her back? Just trying to picture. (I need a youtube video!!)

Avalon1984

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
i_am2bz said:
Yeah, I wished you lived nearby too, Avalon!! I don't know anyone else near me who raises chickens so I'm always "on my own" with this stuff. :/ That's why I'm hoping I can get my regular vet to help me out. Like I said, the pressure is on because I'm leaving on Saturday. If I had a lot of time & could run around & get everything I need. There's a TSC but it's about a half-hour drive. Yes, once the obstruction is gone I think she'll be okay. I want her on the mend, or...if not, I'll be worried the whole time & not enjoy my vacation.

hoosier - do you mean, lay her down on her back? Just trying to picture. (I need a youtube video!!)
I have forcefed chickens by wrapping them in a towel so they cannot move around much. Good luck :hugs

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
For what it's worth, she's very bright-eyed & alert...kinda quiet, just standing in the crate looking around. But, don't know how a chicken with a blocked crop would act, in any event!

My vet is ready-and-willing, she just needs more specifics on how exactly the procedure is performed (flushing the crop). I'm hoping the poultry vet in CA emails me soon...

Keep your fingers crossed! :)

hoosier

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
No - on her stomach with her legs extended out behind her. I learned this from an old vet. :)

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
hoosier said:
No - on her stomach with her legs extended out behind her. I learned this from an old vet. :)
Huh! Okay...so then...still trying to picture this...you kinda tip her head back & put the syringe in? (I'm a very visual person) :p

hoosier

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
You don't have to tip her head back much if at all. Just get some in her beak and she will swallow.