Wife needs to stop sending me to town

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
If they don't have a routine, try to start one. Find a treat they like, and toss it on the bank and yell "here ducks" or whatever you want as the magic words. Just be consistent. Don't try to get them to come close right away, just get them used to coming to treats when called, and then gradually work them closer as time goes on.
Agree wholeheartedly. They need to have their fling... but try a little bread since it will float for a little bit.... then as @Larsen Poultry Ranch said, toss it a little closer to the edge every time and keep the call consistent. It may take them a few days of freedom to want to do anything more than just swim.... and if the bread sinks, the fish will eat it...

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I got them out of the pond yesterday by calling them "Hey quackers, quack - quack - quack" My wife came out and fed them 18% pellets. I'll try the same today and see what happens.
IMG_20210529_183350415_HDR.jpg

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Keep at it, and you'll get them trained.
Yep, again today. Wife says it looks like she has three drakes. I said what's a drake? she said male. I said oh, two duck dinner then? She gave me the stink eye 😂

IMG_20210530_152408433_HDR~3.jpg

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Ducks are super clumsy. I'd give them a nice wide ramp, and put some cleats on it. It's actually recommended to give them a wide door, so that more than one duck can enter at a time b/c of their "herd" behavior. They are likely to crowd each other off the ramp. Your white ducks are very pretty!!!

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Put a bit of a fence around the front of the coop, leave it open till they get used to it, then... after you get them trained to come for feed, you can close the gate, and herd them into the coop, or entice them into the coop with their feed.

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Agree on the ramp. They need the cleats or crosspieces and they like a wide ramp. They do not have the balance out of water that a land animal has. I would lengthen the ramp and make little cross pieces. HINT.... if you find a piece of a retread, they make good cross pieces and they don't cost anything.... we've used them on places that the cattle can slip too.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Also, consider this: you will be training them to come out of water for an evening feed. Ducks MUST have water when they eat. So, provide a bucket of water inside the little fenced area. Their evening routine can be: come for feed, get shut into the little penned area, then after they've eaten, and sloshed it down, shoo them into the coop for the night. If you cut in a window, (with hdw. cloth for pred protection,) they will be less fearful of going in. Ducks LOVE a nice thick bedding of hay or straw. That will also be an enticement for them. If you intend to keep a couple breeders, you'll want to train them to lay in the coop as well!!! First eggs at 5 - 6 months. And, I much prefer duck eggs to chicken eggs!!! One of those Pekin eggs will = 2 - 3 chicken eggs.

Latest posts