Wife needs to stop sending me to town

Cecilia's-life

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I did flip them over on their back in the palm of my had and all these pulled both feet up tight, so they are all hens. There were a lot of roos in those two tubs.
Fun! Good to know...
Speaking of breeds... I count 5 different breeds. Some I know are RIR and BO, but anyone have any ideas on these three?

View attachment 15565

View attachment 15566

View attachment 15567
Easter eggers or marans, can't remember which, 2 pullets, one cockerel

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Momma duck (my wife) is all conserned that the ducks didn't come out of the pond at dusk, well now dark. I took a flashlight out there and they asleep together floating around in the pond. All but the lone one who's still swimming around. What's a guy to do??? They are ducks after all.

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Unless you have BIG snapping turtles or alligators, they are safer in the pond than out on the bank.... and getting them to go in the house after being "penned up" then turned loose in a pond..... REALLY???? They are going to look at you and quack up......
I just read your post, kissed my wife and said "I think your ducks are freedom loving ducks." she said laughingly "you think so?" I said "yep they are in America, aren't they?" She said "That they are and American's L O V E freedom." She slowed down and drew out the word LOVE in her speach. She does this sometimes to emphasize a word to me. I said "Boy do we ever, LOVE our freedom." She shook her head in agreement.

So thanks for helping me calm momma duck's conserns @farmerjan - you rock!

As for the duck house... We'll now it looks like a chicken coop to me 😂

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
The biggest threat to ducks is when the hens are setting as then "land bound predators" will get them and/or the eggs. And they might like the house come winter. You may want to keep it there near the pond for that, or build them a smaller one to just go in at night. And yes, it needs a window.... not many will want to go in a dark house that they cannot see if there is anything in there when they are getting settled.

Larsen Poultry Ranch

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
If these ducks are supposed to be for eating, have you thought about how you are going to catch them? If they no longer go into the coop and spend all their time on the pond... You might have some new adventures to tell us about when you try to get the ducks.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
If these ducks are supposed to be for eating, have you thought about how you are going to catch them? If they no longer go into the coop and spend all their time on the pond... You might have some new adventures to tell us about when you try to get the ducks.
Boat and net maybe??? We haven't got that far yet 😂

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Is that an island in the pond? If so, nests will be there....then only turtle and snake to take eggs, but ducks safe....put a little 3 sided house out there. 😁 Small, short one.

Did you get the barn red paint for your wife --- so she could watch you do that job??? ;)