Wild Foraging

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
I'm very fuzzy about this, so I probably shouldn't post it at all, but in all my research on land laws last spring, I thought I came across laws in some states that allowed folks to go on other folks property for hiking, "passing through" or foraging purposes. Anybody heard of this?

Have to say, people get a little snarky around here if they think you're messing with anything near or on their land! And, seriously, we only go on other people's land if we have their permission. We have elderly neighbors who can't get into their woods any more. So, every year we ask permission to pick their blackberries (and bring them treats in return). They are SO hesitant every year (and I know they love my husband). I wonder if this is land ownership everywhere or just here...

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
Thank you.

Poison Ivy.. :hit

HATE that stuff, it minimizes my foraging abilities. I must be allergic to the stuff, I don't even have to touch the stuff, I can be 15 feet away and I get the nasty rash from it, especially if theres a breeze. Each summer I get it, usually lasts for 2 weeks, one year I had it on both legs, both arms, and my hands, horrid stuff. Last year I got it on my leg, a spot that covered like 15 x 4 inches, took a month to get rid of the spot, sometimes it still itches like I have it. I'm not going to talk about poison ivy anymore. Lol

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
Hm.. I wouldn't know, I'll have to look that up. I admit though, I would LOVE to go through the neighbors woods, if passing through and foraging is allowed here I might just have to quit my complaining and go search some woods! Seems we never leave the one neighbor alone.. we've had to catch the peafowl, a cat.. save a cat, amoungst other things on his land.

me&thegals

Reaction score
Ahhh... Poison ivy. The summer I was 9 months pregnant with my daughter right during the height of asparagus season was lovely. When I went to the hospital to deliver, the nurses looked at me like I had the plague. It was hard to find a non-crusted, rashy, oozing (sorry!) spot anywhere on my arms from which to get a blood pressure.

Foraging is addictive. The whole season, wherever we drive, I'm dizzingly scouting the ditches for the telltale dead foliage from last year. Once the new stuff starts ferning out, EVERYbody knows where it is! I am truly grateful when asparagus season ends each year and my obsession can die right back down........soon to be replaced by black raspberry hunting! ....then blackberries!

Yes, I am a happy woman once winter comes :D

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Just came in from an extended walk with the dog, looking and exploring with new eyes and going into the woods and straying from the normal paths.

I found stinging nettles!!! OWWWWW!!!!! I will be back in a few days when they get a little bigger, with leather gloves.

Who can tell me how to cook them?

Tallman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
freemotion said:
WAY TO GO! :celebrate :thumbsup

I'm going to try to find some and do like is suggested on this site: http://www.prodigalgardens.info/april weblog.htm#Nettles

I just picked a bunch of dandelion flowers to make dandelion vinegar.

They tell about this on the same site above. Wifez recommended this site on another thread and so far she is still in my will. Thanks Wifez.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Still in the will? YES!

LOL

I have dandelions in the front yard (the ducks have taken care of the ones in the back yard :gig ) so maybe I need to make some dandelion vinegar. I have half a bottle of dandelion and plantain vinegar, but a few big salads and that will be history.

Patch of Heaven Farm

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
The kids and I just got back in from foraging for mushrooms and I seen this thread. :p

We found a lot of mushrooms but no morels. :hit Anyone from Ms know what kind we have that is edible?

We always have lots and lots of blackberries. They are already ripening so we will be out there this weekend looking for them. :drool Blackberry pie!!!

I would love to know what other things I could find growing wild here. :hu

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
We start with Serviceberries, assorted greens such as Dandelion and (now)wild Mache and Ramps. Asparagus is next with Wintercress. Purslane is a favorite.
Many wild herbs more palatable as teas as opposed to edible greens.

Wild Strawberries, then wild Black Raspberries, Blackberries and finally Fox Grapes and wild Persimmons.
Wintergreen leaves, Partridge Berries, Spicebush are available most of the year. Black Walnuts, Hickories are our only edible nuts. I don't do acorns because of all the processing. Linden flowers for fragrant tea.

Pinkie Meadow Mushrooms only, due to my lack of confidence with wild mushrooms. We've had a few mushroom club members succumb.

I've tried Daylily tubers-more work than worth. Heavy clay soil makes digging and cleaning difficult.

Black Locust flower fritters are amazing! They are better than Zucchini squash flower fritters.

me&thegals

Reaction score
freemotion said:
Just came in from an extended walk with the dog, looking and exploring with new eyes and going into the woods and straying from the normal paths.

I found stinging nettles!!! OWWWWW!!!!! I will be back in a few days when they get a little bigger, with leather gloves.

I've noticed that if you only touch them with your palms, you're okay. Anywhere else on the hands or arms, and ouch! I was reminded of this while weeding my FIL's raspberries, which were thick with nettles.

I've only had them in soup. Wash them carefully, then dump them in soup just like you would any other green. My husband's aunt added them to a borscht-type soup. My kids think it's pretty cool to eat nettle, since they well know how bad it usually stings :)

Latest posts