Wild Foraging

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Patch of Heaven Farm said:
We always have lots and lots of blackberries. They are already ripening so we will be out there this weekend looking for them. :drool Blackberry pie!!!
What??!!? We have to wait until August for blackberries here!

me&thegals

Reaction score
sylvie said:
We start with Serviceberries, assorted greens such as Dandelion and (now)wild Mache and Ramps. Asparagus is next with Wintercress. Purslane is a favorite.
Many wild herbs more palatable as teas as opposed to edible greens.

Wild Strawberries, then wild Black Raspberries, Blackberries and finally Fox Grapes and wild Persimmons.
Wintergreen leaves, Partridge Berries, Spicebush are available most of the year. Black Walnuts, Hickories are our only edible nuts. I don't do acorns because of all the processing. Linden flowers for fragrant tea.

Pinkie Meadow Mushrooms only, due to my lack of confidence with wild mushrooms. We've had a few mushroom club members succumb.

I've tried Daylily tubers-more work than worth. Heavy clay soil makes digging and cleaning difficult.

Black Locust flower fritters are amazing! They are better than Zucchini squash flower fritters.
That is truly impressive! I have not heard of most of these things before. Can you expound on Mache and ramps? Purslane? I think I have purslane, but I'd like to be more certain before eating.

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
me&thegals said:
That is truly impressive! I have not heard of most of these things before. Can you expound on Mache and ramps? Purslane? I think I have purslane, but I'd like to be more certain before eating.
Mache is called Lamb's lettuce, too. I say "now" wild because it reseeded itself shamelessly everywhere, much to my delight. Many of our wild foraged foods are escapes, like Dandelions. The taste is mild with a hint of violet or nut, depending on the variety. Better groceries carry bags of it, which would help in ID.I'd buy a packet to plant and let them escape the garden. They are out in early spring and again in late fall till December if no hard freeze. Image link: http://images.google.com/imgres?img...bnw=140&prev=/images?q=mache&gbv=2&hl=en&sa=G

Ramps aka Wild Leeks are a taste between garlic and onion. You've got to have these in your area!! It is a broad leaf that smells extremely onion-garlicy when bruised. They will grow in large expansive groups in rich woodland soil. Image link: http://images.google.com/imgres?img...129&prev=/images?q=wild+leek&gbv=2&hl=en&sa%3
DG

Purslane is a small fleshy leafed plant with fleshy stems. Succulent. Mild tasting powerhouse usually shows up in gardens as a weed. I think the seeds are mixed in potted transplants like tomatoes, cabbage and annuals.
Image link:
Don't know why that link failed, here it is again: http://www.wildmanstevebrill.com/JPEG'S/Plant Web Images/Purslane.Photo.jpg

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
The site on nettles inspired me, lol. We have TONS of nettles that grow all over, so I filled a gallon bucket full and am planning to make some tea!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Me, too! Just got back from my daily dog walk, and have a paper shopping bag full of nice young nettles to dry. I found some more great patches of wild raspberries to go back to soon to get some raspberry shoots for tea as well.

I also picked several plants that are lush and plentiful that I could not identify, to look up later.....just in case I need to go back with a big shopping bag!

We have lots and lots of purslane here. I tried some last year and it was much too sour for me. But it was later in the summer, I feel inspired to get some when young and tender and see if I like it that way.

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
I'll have to try the purslane too.. seems I'm always pulling them out of the garden.

The nettle tea smells horrid.. I think I'm going to put it in the fridge and try some cold tomorrow.

Great finds Free! I didn't think of raspberry tea.. that will be a good use for the wild raspberries in the woods that never produce.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Er....I agree. It is in the dehydrator now and the whole house stinks. :sick DH was looking around for cat pee when I first turned it on! And one of the cats was walking back and forth in front of it, and finally lay down next to it, I think he's in love. :rolleyes:

I think it will have to be mixed with something else (mint?) to be tolerable. But sometimes things taste very different than they smell. Regular black tea can smell like a pile of old leaves but tastes quite good, nothing like a pile of leaves!

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
freemotion said:
DH was looking around for cat pee when I first turned it on! And one of the cats was walking back and forth in front of it, and finally lay down next to it, I think he's in love. :rolleyes:
:yuckyuck

I've tried Daylily tubers-more work than worth. Heavy clay soil makes digging and cleaning difficult.
Even in nice loamy soil they are impossible to clean. Nice to know they are edible if I was desperate, but other than that...no thanks.

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
I talked to a friend and she said that it smells horrid but tastes good - so I thought what the hay, I'll try a glass.

Bleh.
I love cauliflower, but it tasted like cauliflower gone bad. I'll have to ask the friend what she uses in hers.. maybe I need to add honey?

me&thegals

Reaction score
Sounds like my catnip tea of last year. Blech! :sick If you figure out how to make it drinkable, let us all know!