Wild Foraging

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Amos said:
...but we had to move the same year.. the next year the people who bought the house cut them all down and poured cement over the area for their dog kennels :/
If we ever had to move, I would have all these clauses in the sale of the house to protect the berry bushes, the asparagus patch, the fruit trees... And then I would be this crazy stalker person checking to see if all my stuff was being properly cared for! :cool:

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
The answer is yes. I pulled the dry leaves off the moist stems with no problems, with my bare hands. Drying and cooking inactivates the sting.

Tallman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
freemotion said:
The answer is yes. I pulled the dry leaves off the moist stems with no problems, with my bare hands. Drying and cooking inactivates the sting.
In order to make tea, can't a person dry and use the stems too?

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I don't see why not, I just wanted to hurry the process, and the leaves got to shatter stage while the stems were still quite juicy.

mrs.puff

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Hey everybody--I'm back today! Asparagus and mushrooms are up!! Finally. Not many though.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Okay, so I went for a walk in the bush across the road (small bush), and I picked some wild mint. Some of the wild strawberries had blooms in them already. What plants coincide with morels (time frame). The wild asparagus is just sprouting, no sign of dandelion flowers yet. do morels come out the same time as asparagus? Saw lots of other stuff sprining to life, but too young for me to identify accurately yet.

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
Can someone please post a picture of wild asparagus?? Or does it look like regular old home grown stuff???

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
SKR8PN said:
Can someone please post a picture of wild asparagus?? Or does it look like regular old home grown stuff???
It's the same.

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
Anyone thinking about making dandelion wine; don't do what I did.
I picked the flowers but didn't separate the yellow petals from the green that surrounds the petals and it turned out horrible, bitter and completely undrinkable.

I've read that nettles have to be stripped in one direction and then they won't sting bare hands. I've got loads of it and will see which way tomorrow. I hope that's not an old wives tale! :p