Wild Foraging

Tallman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
sylvie said:
I've read that nettles have to be stripped in one direction and then they won't sting bare hands. I've got loads of it and will see which way tomorrow. I hope that's not an old wives tale! :p
I have found that the best way to find out about these types of unknowns is to talk some greenhorn into trying it first. :lol:

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
:smack So let us know how it works out, Tallman.....I KNOW it will be just fine if you strip them from top to bottom! ;)

Tallman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
freemotion said:
:smack So let us know how it works out, Tallman.....I KNOW it will be just fine if you strip them from top to bottom! ;)
Free you gotta get a GREENHORN to try it. That ain't me! :old

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
Tallman, if I go out and try it, will I be back in the will?

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
HEY!! You said there was only room for one, that is why I keep getting taken out!!! :rant

On another note, I just put two trays of violet blossoms for tea for my mom in the dehydrator.

Tallman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
freemotion said:
HEY!! You said there was only room for one, that is why I keep getting taken out!!! :rant
Yes, but I didn't say that today. You will find that as long as I'm alive my will is a "living" document. So - today I have decided that there is plenty of room. :plbb

Tallman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
sylvie said:
Tallman, if I go out and try it, will I be back in the will?
Hey Sylvie, where are we at on the gathering of nettle using the bare hand method. I expected a report by now. :th

I just harvested a bunch of wild oats to dehydrate and make tea this winter. I am trying to get a gallon each of the nettle and the oats. :fl

Is anybody else a "make your own herbal tea" bug? :idunno

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Well, the wild asparagus is out, but not enough for a meal yet. I'm getting excited!! I have picked dandelions, fried a few of them as fritters--not bad (sorry-no pics this time, but I will next time.) I have dehydrated some dandelion leaves to make tea from. It is supposed to be very good for you. I add a little honey and lemon, and you wouldnever know you were drinking dandelion tea. i also picked about 4 cups of flowers, added boiling water, let them sit overnight, and I am going to make dandelion herbal jelly. i would have made it yesterday, but I didn't have any certo left, so the dandelion juice is in the fridge, and the certo is on the grocery list. It is supposed to taste similar to honey. I'll report back after it is made.

Aslo, while walking through the bush, I noticed some catnip. I picked a bunch of it, and dehydrated it. I have NEVER seen my cat act as he did when I gave him some. Powerful stuff! Also, if has some medicinal uses for humans, so my ds, who has a bit of a sinus inflammation has been drinking some catnip tea. It has a sort of minty flavour, and i added local honey to it for him. double whammy for his sinuses.

I can't find any morels--maybe there just aren't any growing near me, and I am not going driving to look for some.

I'll be back with more of my finds, but that is all for now.

mrs.puff

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Asparagus is in high gear in my area. The morel harvest this year was dismal, but there were a lot of dryad saddle (pheasant's ruff) instead.

BTW- has anybody tried the evil garlic mustard plant in salads or anything? We've got it spreading all around, and I know it was originally brought to North America as a food item. I'm tempted to put a few leaves of it in my "tangy" salad blend for the farmer's market!