Wild Plums!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
There is a clump of Mexican plums in the fence row across the road from us. Little red marbles are just falling off and rotting. So we went picking! We picked some a few days ago, I cooked them down and got 3/4 of a quart jar of juice. Today we picked some more and have them spread on a cookie sheet to finish ripening. After I cook these down, I'll make wild plum jelly. It has been since I was a very little girl that I had wild plum jelly.

IMG_0958.JPG

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
They look so good. Yum.

Weather destroyed my entire tree of plums this year.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Finally made jelly today. We have been picking and I've been cooking them down and straining out the juice. Got two quarts of juice and made 7 pints of jelly today. WOW! that stuff is good!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Well, 3 jars set up and 4 didn't. So I have to redo the 4 jars. Darn! Also put up half bushel of peaches yesterday (bought them) and canned 7 jars of I wish I could say sliced peaches, but more like peach pieces. They were cling peaches :he so I just whacked at them with a paring knife. I made 7 jars of chunky peach jam, and it didn't set up either. The remainder I just cooked down to mush and I'll call it jam-preserves-huh? I got 3 jars of that and I'm already seeing visions of turnovers!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I opened a jar of the plum that didn't set up and it is like a soft spread. Not syrup and not jelly, somewhere in between. Not syrupy enough to redo, so I'm going to use it just like it is. I dug out some on a spoon.... it is so good!

Latest posts