Wild Plums!

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
@Mini Horses I use a summer-oil spray that is predominantly mineral oil. (One of these days, I'll have to make my own, lol).
I usually spray shortly after they finish blooming.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
@frustratedearthmother here is a picture of the leaves on the wild plums. They look kinda like hackberry leaves.

E3A2D50A-D3D1-438E-8349-CE80B0F48BAC.jpeg

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Bitesea -- thanks! I am not wanting to spray every month. Once or twice and I want to be done. I use the oil soap and 2X spray. Helps but I'm sure some palmolive and oil, with water, would be just as effective.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
image.jpg
Finally got pics of the unidentified tree thing volunteering in my garden area where there previously had been a plum tree.

image.jpg

Last edited:

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That looks like an American Persimmon. It makes small persimmons that the sheep and dogs LOVE! They are mouth puckering until they are ripe, then they are SWEET! It can be either a male or female tree. If a male tree, it will not bear fruit. We have them on our property, I will take pictures of them for you to compare. The bark is deeply furrowed and I will get pics of that too. It is related to the ebony tree that grows in the Rio Grande Valley, the wood is very hard.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have canned 14 quarts of juice. I have 3/4 of a gallon in the refrigerator. We picked plums Sunday and today. One patch is done, but two patches still have plums to ripen. I will have some to cook tomorrow and juice. They seem to be an on/off bearer, so getting all this juice is great.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That looks like an American Persimmon.
Could be! I have two persimmon trees in another area, but they aren't the native kind. But, come to think of it I also had a persimmon tree close to this area at one time too. I did compare the leaves to my other persimmons and they aren't exactly like those either. These volunteers are several years old but I've never seen them bloom. I'll leave them for another year or two and see what happens.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I didn't get pics of my persimmon trees today......on my tired butt in recliner with laptop now........so it ain't happenin'..... :lol:

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
No problemo! My Japanese persimmon have a rounder leaf, but I suppose these could be the American Variety. I don't care that much what they are - but I want them to make fruit - some kind of fruit - any kind of fruit. I'm not picky, lol!!

Latest posts