Wildcrafting.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Making crafts from the things found in the wilderness I think. I have a book on wildcrafting, I should dig it out of one of the boxes. (It is a very fun thing to do with children.)

We always have a holiday wreath making party during Thanksgiving when all of us sisters are together with Mom. All the materials are what we gathered during our "traditional Thanksgiving family hike".

I love to collect interesting branches and nice beach wood to hang on walls. Cat tails and pussy willow are fun to collect with children.

My mother has had a giant (empty) paper wasp nest/bee hive thing hanging over her fireplace for years now. She use to collect jade beetles and locust skins for decorating her dried flower arrangements too.

I would collect feathers, twigs and leaves to use as paint brushes when I painted more.

PunkinPeep

Humble Ambitions
Reaction score
I've never called it wildcrafting, but...

both of my Christmas wreaths were formed by my husband out of vines we pulled out of the trees, and i decorated them with ribbons and whatnot.

And i usually decorate a tray for the advent candles with fresh holly branches and pine cones from outside.

Last year i missed the holly berries. They were there one day, and the next year they were gone. I don't know how that happens unless the birds and the squirrels harvested them immediately upon appearance.

I'm hoping for better this year.

My sister-in-law has used autumn leaves and branches to make the centerpieces for our Thanksgiving table and that sort of thing.

Is that what you mean by wildcrafting?

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
just harvest wild blackberries and some apples from rogue trees, pecans and raspberries
hunt deer and eat fish we catch

other than that I don't eat wild nature that I can think of at the moment.

Myga

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
The woods behind my mom's house is full of overgrowing vines, so I go back there to get the neat ones off the fence. Usually these turn into dream catchers (assuming I can find appropriate feathers), or winter wreaths.

homesteader

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I`m sorry I should have made things more clear. Wildcrafting is gathering wild herbs and or edibles from the wild.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
:gig Thanks for the definition!

We used to gather wild chives. Do wild mushrooms count? :D

ETA: Oh DUH! Just saw edibles, so yes we gather wild mushrooms around here. Blackberries and dewberries and pecans (when I lived in TX).

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Oh hey, I do that! Always called it foraging. I thought wildcrafting was crafting things from the wild (like everybody else it seems :D ) and I don't craft much... okay, I don't craft at all :p
I gather mustard, acorns, pecans, purslane, yellow dock, dandelions, blackberries, raspberries, grapes & grape leaves, paw-paw, apples, peaches, pears, plums, elderberries. The blackberries, acorns, yellow dock, dandelions & purslane are in my own yard, my mom has a huge old pecan tree and I gather the rest from a few areas I can hunt/trap in.