Wildcrafting.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
We have a good thread on "wild foraging" in the hunting and fishing section, I don't know how to post it's link though.

PunkinPeep

Humble Ambitions
Reaction score
homesteader said:
I`m sorry I should have made things more clear. Wildcrafting is gathering wild herbs and or edibles from the wild.
Oh! (insert lightbulb emoticon here)

No, but i really WANT to! I've been doing a little reading about what i can collect. And i found the sassafras trees. But beyond that i'm a little chicken until i educate myself a little more. I think i might have some wild lettuce, which will probably be my first adventure.

homesteader

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
There are hundreds of wild herbs and edible foods that can be gathered from the wilds. We gather wintergreen, sassafras root, mullien, cattail roots and so on. I am curious to see what people from other areas are gathering and using.

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
Me.

This year I gathered wild grapes, black raspberries, choke cherries, plums, asparagus, dock, purslane, dandelion, burdock, nettles, catnip.. and I think that was all...

Next year I'm hoping to get into 'shrooms!

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
I did dandelion too, just remembered! I used to gather wild grapes in TX, wild grape leaves too.

When I lived in Wisconsin, my dad used to take us aparagus hunting in the forest.

Here in the pacific northwest, so far it has been black berries, chanterelle mushrooms and oyster shells (for the chickens). I just read how to make sea salt and I am going to try that soon! :D

homesteader

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
We are just getting started with wildcrafting this season so a lot of our extra time over the winter will be spent on learning all we can before getting into it more extesively.
We also are being cautious about what we gather until we are sure of what we are doing.
On the sassafras there was some research done quite a long time ago that said it can cause cancer. I researched this and it seems they fed lab rats and mice mega doses of the stuff over an extended period and it did cause some rats and mice to develope cancer. Although this was the case all of the research I did could not show one case of human contracted cancer that could be attributed to sassafras ingestion.
It has been used for hundreds of years and in fact was a trade good the early settlers here would ship to England to be used for teas and flavorings. Also one of the roots used in old time rootbeer.

PunkinPeep

Humble Ambitions
Reaction score
homesteader said:
We are just getting started with wildcrafting this season so a lot of our extra time over the winter will be spent on learning all we can before getting into it more extesively.
We also are being cautious about what we gather until we are sure of what we are doing.
On the sassafras there was some research done quite a long time ago that said it can cause cancer. I researched this and it seems they fed lab rats and mice mega doses of the stuff over an extended period and it did cause some rats and mice to develope cancer. Although this was the case all of the research I did could not show one case of human contracted cancer that could be attributed to sassafras ingestion.
It has been used for hundreds of years and in fact was a trade good the early settlers here would ship to England to be used for teas and flavorings. Also one of the roots used in old time rootbeer.
Sadly i didn't keep the source, but last week when i found a bunch of sassafras trees on my property, i did a lot of reading, and apparently, sassafras has about 1/200th (or something like that ) the chance of giving you cancer that alcohol has. So, the general consensus seems to be that if we try not to drink several gallons of it per day, we'll probably be fine. I just love the smell! It's incredible!

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
Just go to the thread you want to link to and open it. Then way up high on your monitor screen tool bar is the address http://www.suffcientself.com etcetera. Right click on that which will open a box. Left click "cut". Then go to the thread you were chatting on, click reply as you usually do for a comment and right click in there. The box will open again and you just left click on "paste". Done.