WildSky*** Look what I found!

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
sylvie said:
I have one of those, no lid and do use it for anything but not cooking food.

Warning!!!!When buying used cast iron, it is difficult to know what it was used for.

I bought a cool good sized pot on legs with a lid off Ebay. It was everything I wanted to cook over the fire in the fireplace. When it arrived it had a weird color in the bottom, silvery and black metallic, which the photos failed to show. I contacted the seller who had no idea what it was used for and casually suggested I send it back on my dime(cast iron ain't cheap to ship). I kept it, continued asking around and learned that it was most likely used to smelt lead for sinkers and bullets.
I also learned that many used Dutch Ovens for lead. Whatever got the job done. Just not a comfort zone for me.
:sick Good to know.

So what do you use your big cauldron for?

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
I make pine cone fire starters and load it up with those. I use candle ends to coat them so there are a variety of muted colors and looks attractive.

The Vail Benton's

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
sylvie said:
I make pine cone fire starters and load it up with those. I use candle ends to coat them so there are a variety of muted colors and looks attractive.
I love that idea! At christmas time sometimes I buy those cinnamon scented pinecones - what a great way to make them useful after christmas is over and the scent wears off.