chud

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
does anybody have a pattern for window quilts or where i can find them

G

booker81

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I'm assuming you want something more involved that just stapling a quilt over a window (which is what we have in our bedrooms :D )

It does work :)

Wallybear

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Have you ever thought about making rigid window covers? Use pink or blue rigid foam insulation that you find at any box store. Cut to window size and cover with a cloth "pillow case". I would use 2" thick foam and would make the covers in half window sizes. This way you could uncover half the window at a time if you wanted.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Before we got our new windows i would go to walmart and by clear vinyl. They sell it with the table cloth material. You could get about 3 seasons out of a sheet. That way I could still see out the window.

mandieg4

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I just bought some black-out curtains at Walmart for less than $15 each, which is a lot cheaper than I could make them. I am surprised at how much cooler the house is now

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
If you mean to block the sun, Farmfresh has pics of the ones she made (and probably patterns too) .

vclark321

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I saw this post and my brain started working overtime. I have a split level house and the lower level is half underground. Even in the hottest summers I have to wear a sweater because its so cold. I also have a lot of tree cover. I decided to try this window quilt thing to see if it can help.

I went to the local Goodwill store and picked up king size flannel sheets in appealing colors and I found an old wool Army blanket and went home with my treasures. It only cost $9.00. You can't buy flannel off the bolt that cheap, let alone wool. I measured my window and laid everything out on the floor in a sandwhich type method with the wool in the middle. I pinned it all together and started cutting. I will sew it together and hang it on the window. It was very easy and I pre-hung it to see if I liked it and the next day there was a significant temp change in the room! Awesome!

If you want more of a quilt type pattern you can always cut the sheets into strips. Good luck!

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
We have a door to the outside in our "sunroom" that has had to be trimmed so drastically (because the whole room flexes with the weather) that it has gaps in it. The wind literally goes through the door. I put up a cheap curtain rod and bought a lenghth of polar fleece on sale and hung it over the door opening so it overlaps everywhere by 6-8 inces all around and sweeps the floor. I couldn't believe how much warmer that room was all last winter without the wind blowing through it!

For real window quilts I suppose part of the question is what do you want it to look like. The roman shade type? regular curtains (yes- blackout curtains work quite well to block drafts)? I looked at the roman shade style and decided they were beyond my sewing capabilities.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
keljonma said:
If you mean to block the sun, Farmfresh has pics of the ones she made (and probably patterns too) .
Yes ... AND I have made window quilts for warmth in the winter as well. (You learn lots living in an old house. :p)

I actually need to spend a bit of time and effort again this year and make some new window quilts for us too. Our old ones were shot a couple of years ago and I need to make something nicer than the ratty old blankets that we used the last two years.

I used velcro (soft side on window frames and pokey on drapes, it stays cleaner that way.) at the window tops and sides of window casings for attachment. I found I still lose quite a bit of heat (especially at the top) if I use curtain rods to hang them. You could make a box valance for the tops as well and that would also help a lot.

My favorite "filling" is a type of bubble wrap insulation that my hardware store sells that is faced on both sides with foil! Not cheap, but the stuff lasts for years AND the foil helps reflect the heat back into a room.

I basically measured the windows, sewed (at the edges with zig zag stitches) enough of the bubble foil together to cover window and frame with a bit to hang down at the bottoms, then made a simple cover and sewed that over the top on both sides. I found a light weight cotton on the top and a light double knit next to the window really worked best. A dark back cloth might also absorb solar heat and help as well, but I usually open the quilts when I have some sun to shine in. If you screw a couple of doubled cords at the top of the window when you are hanging it, (with one end of the cord next to the window and one end on the inside) you can simply roll up the quilts and tie the cords in a bow to hold the quilt at any height that you wish and it will actually look nice. Remember to be careful with dangling window cords if you have little kids in the house for safety sake.

Another option is to staple a length of 1x2 or a dowel (flat works better if you ask me) that is slightly longer than the window is wide in the casing at the bottom of the window. You can then use that rod to wind the quilt up to the desired height and hook it in "L" or cup hooks mounted at the correct heights to hold it in position. In this case an inverted set of hooks could also hold the quilt tight down against the window at the bottom as well.

You all are giving me some ideas... I need to get sewing this fall. ;)

Tips added - For you non sewing types you could use staples, duct tape for the middles and Fabric or even hot glue to make the outer part of the shades. Don't be discouraged!!