Wine makers...?

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I made my first batch a few weeks ago (or somewhere in that range). It's still in a bottle on top of our hutch in the kitchen. It's starting to smell like skunked booze, so I'm assuming that something went right somewhere along the line. How do I know when it's done though? I don't want it turning into vinegar!

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
No telling what yeasties got in there. Did you taste it?

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
No. :/ Lol. I used regular baking yeast to begin with, so I'm not sure what it'll taste like. Granted, there really aren't many tasty alcohols out there, IMO.

Wifezilla

Reaction score
All I can say is taste it
If it is sour, well, go ahead and make it vinegar

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
Bettacreek said:
I made my first batch a few weeks ago (or somewhere in that range). It's still in a bottle on top of our hutch in the kitchen. It's starting to smell like skunked booze, so I'm assuming that something went right somewhere along the line. How do I know when it's done though? I don't want it turning into vinegar!
What is the full recipe that you used? as wifezilla said you should have an airlock, even a fine mesh like cheese clothe will work, it will make CO2 and help drive the wild yeast and other wee beasties away if the gas can be lightly trapped in the neck of the bottle.

There are special wine yeasts, baking yeasts may very well leave a funky taste as they are not alcohol tolerant and will die off before becoming wine strength.

Wifezilla

Reaction score
I buy champagne yeast and airlocks at my local home brew shop. I try to never run out of either :D

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
I buy champagne yeast and airlocks at my local home brew shop. I try to never run out of either :D
Same here. The Wife LOVES the Mead that I make. :woot

Betta.....I am betting you have a jar of vinegar, not wine.