Wine makers...?

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
I buy champagne yeast and airlocks at my local home brew shop. I try to never run out of either.
SKR8PN said:
The Wife LOVES the Mead that I make.
See, there are experts of all kinds here and all you have to do is ask, I tried to drink wine for the health benefits but could never acquire a taste for it and now drink purple grape juice instead.

I have made plenty of sugarheads and hard ciders that I would jack in the freezer for a higher proof but prefer that mountain dew likker. and ironically have 6 gallons boiling on the stove right now. It is for medicinal purposes only because I have a bad tooth infection, and only had cooking sherry (18%) and mouthwash (15%) in the house and didn't want to guzzle either.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I have a batch or orange spice mead I made in July. Going to crack one of those open 4th of July 2010. I also made some pyment in November. It should be ready around Thanksgiving 2010.

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
I have a batch or orange spice mead I made in July. Going to crack one of those open 4th of July 2010. I also made some pyment in November. It should be ready around Thanksgiving 2010.
DO you need any HELP?? ? :D :D :D

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
I have never had mead but judging from the Robin Hood movies I have seen they all seem to have some fun with it, are you near the Springs? I have a buddy there and should visit him around July - we can trade.

Wifezilla

Reaction score
I am just South of the springs....but if it is a good batch, my book club might not let me trade any away! :gig

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
I am just South of the springs....but if it is a good batch, my book club might not let me trade any away! :gig
I get your drift Wife(bogart)Zilla and will attempt my own mead but a quick search shows an awful lot of honey and would be very costly, what is a good recipe?

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
xpc said:
Wifezilla said:
I get your drift Wife(bogart)Zilla and will attempt my own mead but a quick search shows an awful lot of honey and would be very costly, what is a good recipe?
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

"Wife(bogart)Zilla" :gig OMG too funny!! Nothing worse than drunk, book-club ladies that wont share!! :gig

Wifezilla

Reaction score
Hee hee hee. I can take them all individually, but if they gang up on me, I am toast!

As for recipes, I like to keep it very simple. The old fashioned recipes with a little lemon or orange for citric acid, some tea for tannins an a few raisins for trace minerals, honey and champagne yeast seem to work best for me. I do not like exotic ingredients that are hard to find, but I do keep a container of yeast nutrient around in case a fermentation gets stuck.

I make them in 2 gallon batches so if I screw it up I don't waste too much honey.

You can use this recipe but instead of regular Fleishman's yeast, get the champagne yeast. Instead of the balloons, spring for the airlock.
http://www.streetdirectory.com/food...e_some_mead_today_the_cheap_and_easy_way.html

More recipes...
http://www.greydragon.org/brewing/mead.html
http://www.brewery.org/library/beeslees.html

My pyment batch was an experiment. I used grapes from my own vines. I made it WAY too thick and it didn't ferment. I added water and yeast nutrient and it is now just starting to clear. Still not sure if this is going to turn out, but I took a few sips and it is very dry. If it mellows it will be some pretty good stuff :D

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
I am going to try some mead, if not for anything else but a change up. Thanks for the the info - but as you can see I have a fair amount of equipment

stillage.jpg

gotta have a parrot and some floaters

stillage2.jpg