Winemaking project: Pictures page 6!

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Meijer's I am not sure if they have spread that far yet. I live near the very first store so I think that we sometimes get the best prices as they want it to look like they have the best bargains. But they have been on this 10 for $10 with one free for the past year or so and while most of the stuff is all super processed stuff there are a few things really worth getting.
They had Angel soft TP on there (4 rolls a pack)
ground turkey
the white button mushrooms and the little brown baby portobellas (10oz)
5lbs of white local potatoes
Some shampoos and conditioners
some deodorants
Even some of the baking supplies have been on there lately.
it switches up every time, but there is usually some stuff that we need and/or can be added to the stash.
At the moment I have quite a few extra deodorants stashed.
But then again there are some weeks there is not much that we use.

modern_pioneer

Mountain Man
Reaction score
Hey is this boot legging that your doing here even legal!! :lol: My bestst buddy Mark is quit the wine maker here in these parts, mountains and bottles full of all sorts of adult beverages...

I also need to drop the "dang girl" on you for the vanilla extract I did from your recipe last year. I decided to take some of my finest Russian "spud" Vodka and make some. After 6 months rolled by, I tasted it, and decided it was nicer added to some seltzer water and served over ice rather than some pom-pom cakes or cookies. :weee

I had used 9 beans and added those to 16 ounces of vodka, although I was a bit hung over the following day, I enjoyed the evening rather differently!! I now have two small bottles, one that I did 3 months ago, and another just a week ago. This time I will not just drink it, but use it for its intended use.
:thumbsup

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
You can legally make 200 gallons of wine! That would be four gallons a week...can you imagine? Whoever wrote the law must've been quite the lush.

Glad you liked the vanilla.....

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Hahahaha! In Michigan the law said 200 gallons per ADULT! that is 400 gallons a year! But does that count the stuff that you gotta age for years? like mead and so does that mean that if you make say-the 400 gallons a year and have it aging that you can't make more for the next year and the next? I ponder these things--or I might just have too much time on my hands! lol :lol:

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I never thought of that.....I believe the law is MAKE, not HAVE. And it is federal, I think. That is what I've read here and there. Isn't it 200 gallons for one adult, max 400 gallons per household? Imagine the stash one could have....retire from winemaking an have enough to last a few more decades, with it getting better and better....one would hope!

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
freemotion said:
I never thought of that.....I believe the law is MAKE, not HAVE. And it is federal, I think. That is what I've read here and there. Isn't it 200 gallons for one adult, max 400 gallons per household? Imagine the stash one could have....retire from winemaking an have enough to last a few more decades, with it getting better and better....one would hope!
I sure hope that it is make and not have! other wise those wine collectors would be in big trouble--I get a magazine about wine collecting(thought it was something else but it was free so) and those guys have literally thousands and thousands of bottles in their cellars.

Hummm.... Wonder if that would be considered hoarding? lol

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
My mead phase has officially begun. I made a batch of cinnamon-vanilla mead today and also stopped at Whole Foods (near the veterinary orthopedic surgeon's office....my old dog had another knee appointment today :/ ....mama needs some med'cine!) and got the organic juice oranges and organic ginger that I want to use to make some orange-ginger. The final batch will be a chai spice of my own concoction, using my famous chai tea recipe.

Oh, poop, I forgot to get enough organic ginger for that batch, too. :rolleyes:

ETA: I've been meaning to look up some meads online to get ideas. This one captured my attention because it is pretty close to what I expect to be making one day from my own fruits and possibly even my own honey....unfiltered and unrefined and chemical free. How often have I said that we ss'ers eat a gourmet diet??? http://www.winebuys.com/855-BNEKTAR-DARKENESS.html

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Racked (siphoned from one bottle to a clean one to get the wine off the sediment of dead yeast and fruit bits and to get it aerated and give it a push to get fermenting again) my meads and Welch's concentrate wines today. I need to do the raspberry and peach again, and all the little miscelaneous bottles of this and that....elderberry, more peach, watermelon, onion....

When are we ever going to bottle some of this stuff? Practicing patience.....well, I'm not even ready yet. We still haven't picked up the nice oak wine racks that were given to me (an hour away and need to borrow a truck....and have to go through the icy, snowy hills....it can wait!) and set up the "wine cellar." :lol:

Everything still tastes like rocket fuel but one of the meads showed some promise with a lovely aftertaste (would that be "finish?" If I were snooty?)