Winter already?

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
9* this morning. Heading to minus digits (night) for the next few days, then back up to single digits (night) for a few days. If the day time temp gets up to 20*, I'm happy with that.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Between now and ground hog day, we are scheduled for one night when temps will make it up to double digits. Lots of negative numbers. So, time to put an other blanket on the bed!

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I will 2nd, 3rd & 4th what FEM says !!! BRRRR weather isn't for me. Nope. Nada.

It was 23 at sunup this morning, so you would be ok with it @Lazy Gardener :D Yep, downright balmy for you. Not for me. But with no wind, it wasn't real bad. We're up to 33 now. I did use about 10 gal hot water, so all troughs, dishes, etc. were useable. About 3/4" ice on larger ones. Sun is out and we mmaaayyy get to 38-39. Then 20 tonight.

This IS WINTER -- and if it was no worse than this, can handle. Wind is a downer! Lucky today, very slight breeze occasionally. Then tomorrow late, for sure rain, probably a mix, maybe even couple inches. :idunno :caf

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I've got a call in to a furnace repair person. When the furnace runs, I smell oil. So, it will be shut off until we have it looked at. Not a major issue b/c we have wood stove upstairs and pellet stove down stairs. But, need that furnace for the times we are away from home and can't tend the wood or pellet stoves.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
The repair man who I called to look at the furnace can't even come until the 25th. Excellent timing, with night time temps scheduled for below 0*F between now and then. Most days will not get up to 20*. Wood and pellet stoves are maxed out, with it being pretty cold in the house last night. Oh well. We'll not be burning much oil. The man I talked to recommended that we install a CO monitor upstairs if we do use the furnace. So... it's off to Lowes to buy more pellets and a CO monitor today.

I thank God that we have the pellet and wood stove. Many folks who live in snow country do not have an alternate heat source. If their furnace goes on the blink, they are in a world of hurt.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Fortunately my DH can fix most things and our propane guy is a good friend and will do middle of the night calls. We had a pellet boiler but it was a pain. Now we just have propane.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Looks like our turn is here finally: https://www.joe.ie/news/snow-forecast-ireland-2-614259

We apparently had sleet last night, but I went to bed just before midnight and it was still dry then. This morning is VERY foggy and wet, wet, wet outside. I'm so glad I brought firewood in yesterday and cut enough kindling for at least two fires.