Winter already?

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
40 cold degrees outside right now. Forcast to hit a low of 38 overnight.
Weather is tellng me winter is right around the corner but I am so not ready for winter already.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My orthopedist suggested I try CBD for my arthritis; it works like a charm. She said that the reason they have so many different pain relief options is because none of them work for everybody... you have to experiment to find the one that works best for you. Since our county finally agreed that cannabis is legal to grow, I bought some seeds for plants that were specifically high CBD and low THC (which is the compound that gets you high). CBD works better if you have at least a small amount of THC mixed in. I have some ready to put into olive oil; after about 6 weeks it will be ready to make a salve with beeswax or coconut oil, or I can use some of it internally if I need it.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
* 28 here this morning and a crunchy frost on the grass....this should kill most of what's left in the garden and flower beds. Fall is officially here!!!!! :weee :ya :celebrate

@CrealCritter , we are not ready here either...I think this is the latest we've ever left our wood getting. Most of what we have cut up right now is from green trees that uprooted this spring and summer~have a hoop shed half full of that and another mountain yet to be moved and stacked, so not much dry wood cut and split. We have a couple three cords of dry in the shed still but need MUCH more to fill out our wood needs for the winter. We usually have the shed full to the door and several cords on the porch by now.

Hey...you'll be pleased to see my new splitting ax, which splits wood like a dream, though it's only 4 lb. We have a big maul here but it's just too heavy for me to split for very long with it, so I got myself a lady tool. :D

It requires minimal effort to split the wood with this thing, but I haven't used it on any really tough, twisted grain wood yet, so we'll see if it can manage it. Anyhoo, it's my new gym equipment. I think it's made by the Ames company, bought it at Lowe's.

100_1037.JPG

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Looks like a nice splitting ax you got there. So do you heat with a water stove?

Water stove? I think I've heard of them but have never seen one. No, we heat with a barrel stove. Mom JUST replaced the barrel last week and got it all back together in time to greet the cold nights.

This barrel stove hit is the same one we purchased back in '78 when we went off grid and started homesteading. The company either went out of business or no longer made it after the 70s but it's by far the best barrel stove kit available, fitting just as tightly now as it did then. The legs are taller than the other barrel stove kit available also, which is why we love it so much.

100_2365.jpg
100_2364.jpg
100_2608.jpg

Here's a better pic of that splitting ax....

755625024572.jpg

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
@CrealCritter I understand perfectly where you come from :) Where I lived the last few years in S.A. we had the other extreme, summer highs averaging 115-130F and no rain for months on end. So you can imagine coming here and seeing snow and all the fun to be had with that. I'm aware of the hassles of driving in the stuff, ice, black ice... In January I was in an accident when I friend of mine totalled his car after skidding on black ice. His mom followed suit with her car about 2 or 3 weeks later. I'd take all this over living right next to hell though! ;) And one thing is for sure, a snow covered landscape is much prettier than a dustbowl! For me anyway.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Still snowing here in southern IL but very light now. Snow fall is really pretty this morning. They changed the forcast multiple times but we ended up with around 5" of very dry snow on the ground. Less on the trees because of the winds, dry snow doesn't stick so well. Just two weeks ago the leaves on the trees were green. Like I said in another post we we're cheated out of fall this year. The first day of winter isn't until December 21.

Pic taken from back porch.
IMG_20181115_075504.jpg

Last edited:

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Interesting.... These guys have a weather forecast for the next 90 days:

https://www.accuweather.com/en/ie/tipperary/211369/month/211369?view=table

I'm half tempted to save those and make notes of what actually happens to compare it lol Seriously, we're an island with mainland Europe and England to the east, the North Pole to the north and endless ocean to the south and west. ANYTHING is possible!