Wolf

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure we have a wolf out back. I wouldn't be surprised since my property backs up to the shawnee national forest. I've heard it howling several nights in a row now. It's pretty close to the house. So close that my wife's Rottweiler starts going nuts in the house. Tonight I had to grab my shot gun. I hate firing up in the air at night but I had too, in order to get it to leave.

We have coyotes up the ying yang and this is most defiantly not a coyote howl. I'm going to talk with my neighbor when I catch him home and ask him if he has set up any trailcams yet this year.

Wolfs are not good to have around, they are killers.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Hope the wolf doesn't cause any problems to anyone. They are so majestic that I love the IDEA of them being around....the REALITY can be different if you need to protect your property.

Oh...when we need to fire a gun to scare something away - we don't shoot in the air - we just shoot into the ground. That way we don't have to worry where the bullet goes.

elwood

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
As beautiful as wolves are you dont want to live near them. Apex predators and they will hunt humans.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I talked to my neighbor, we just got back from putting up trail cams. We had a look around and spotted a big pile of scat and some paw prints. Hard to tell if it was just a dog or wolf though. I know wolfs have a huge range, our property backs up to the Shawnee national forest so yeah that's a big range.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
As beautiful as wolves are you dont want to live near them. Apex predators and they will hunt humans.

i think this is a good thing. i wish sabre toothed tigers were still around. humans are getting too complacent and lazy, might also help to keep the lbs off having to run a bit more.

i doubt an isolated wolf is going to be a likely hazard to people. but don't go out at night smelling of wabbit, beef, mutton, elk, bison or (in the winter) mice...

(wondering if anyone gets the movie reference...)

and on the more serious side of things, yes, i would rather have them around than not - there's a huge population of deer around that deserve some predator to get after them more than the coyotes seem to...

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
humans are getting too complacent and lazy, might also help to keep the lbs off having to run a bit more.
LOL - I like the way you think. Yep - I'd run more if I had to dodge a saber tooth tiger!

And yes - hunting helps control the deer population - but what's wrong with the "natural order" of things like an apex predator taking down a natural prey animal? (as long as they stick to natural prey and not people - yikes!)

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Deer population can be nicely managed by appropriate hunting.

it may cut down in numbers but it does nothing for getting rid of the sick ones like a predator will do. around here hunting does not reduce the population enough. car/deer accidents per year run about 65,000 in our state and our insurance rates reflect that.

we had a school bus tag one a few weeks ago right at the end of the driveway. i am fencing what i can to keep them out but if they want to come in via the driveway there's not much i can do because Mom won't let me run a fence along that side of the gardens.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
LOL - I like the way you think. Yep - I'd run more if I had to dodge a saber tooth tiger!

And yes - hunting helps control the deer population - but what's wrong with the "natural order" of things like an apex predator taking down a natural prey animal? (as long as they stick to natural prey and not people - yikes!)

i have always striven to be an example to others, perhaps not a good example, but one-none-the-less. :)

i have a dark sense of humor, i would not really mind if my last moments at a ripe old age were in terror being jumped by a wolf or sabretoothed tiger. alas, i'm just likely going to have to be satisfied with being gummed by worms in some cemetary someplace. i haven't selected one yet, trying to find natural burial at a decent price. my true preference would be a hole out back so i can hang with the buds in the dirt, but i guess we can't have human remains scattered about. people freaking out about some skull grinning at them when it isn't halloween might have something to do with it beyond the risks of diseases, but again. i guess i wouldn't want ol' Joes femur showing up on my doorstep either, unless perhaps his bone is connected the the finger bone with a nice big diamond ring on it... hmmm...

none of us gets out of this alive so i hope to have some fun along the way and find humor in the great and small things as i can.

perhaps this is strange, but i'm comforted by the idea that i'm not all that and have no aspirations to ever be.

there wolf! :) (another movie reference)...

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I've lived in the same house for 35 years and never saw a deer here - until a couple weeks ago. One crossed our dead end road right in front of me. DH saw one in the brush across the street a couple days before that and a year or so ago, after he had a horrible accident he got a new car. His first day to go back to work after his accident, in his new car, he hit a deer. We have lots of hunters, and lots of coyotes - and yet the population has increased to the point that they are everywhere now. We don't have wolves here so maybe I need a hunting license and a rocking chair on the porch, lol!

Latest posts